General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New bike, what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New bike, what should I do?

ORIGINAL: MikeInCtown

ORIGINAL: sweetdeal

SQUID RULES #2
ride around town in a real low gear so it makes your bike sound louder! (again more people will look at you)

i am gonna make up a whole thread of squid rules i think.
So you are not only going to be the president, but also a client?
Not it is just that i unfortunatly live way to close to the only beach in Maine and when you are there you see it all.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:23 PM

install frame and swingarm sliders, and bar ends, 1st mod...u gotta protect ur baby...

Old 01-18-2008, 02:02 PM

Uhh... Frame Sliders. Take the MSF and all that + gear etc for you personally... but for the bike, Frame sliders.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:08 PM

Sweet deal, dude who pissed in your cornflakes. The noob is just asking for a couple tips to start riding. I am well aware of some more than tacky bikes but you dont even now the guy. Whaterver. Dude take most of this advice and I second the make it a slow learning curve. There is alot of **** out there that can f up your day or worse! Take it easy and learn all you can. Peace.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:38 PM

first bike huh?

ouch.

MSF, Gear up, get your basics down, practice them during riding, always be mindful of your environment, remember smooth is best.

as far as the bike, what is the condition of the bike? has it been dropped? augmented in any way? you really shouldn't need to do anything save for an oil change in the spring. 3 qts with a filter is all you need.

don't start it until you're ready to ride it though. starting it in winter is bad bad juju and really can lead to mechanical damage. you're best bet is to take the battery out, leave it in the house, and keep it there.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:53 PM

thanks for all the help, i did order a couple riding books and im waiting for the msf course in the spring... I am leary about starting on this bike from what I have been reading, but I guess I gotta learn on something haha

Old 01-20-2008, 10:25 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

You will catch a lot of guff from some for getting that as a first bike, but you have it and need to learn on it. Read your books, take the MSF course when you can, and just start slow. I personally recomend finding a nice empty parking lotas close as possible, it will ease the pressure offas opposed to learning in traffic.There are many of us who learned to ride on 600 + sportbikes, just take your time, wear your gear, respect the bike, and if you have questions just ask, you will get some b.s. answers sometimes, but justlook thru them and find those who will actually help you.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: sysnxt

thanks for all the help, i did order a couple riding books and im waiting for the msf course in the spring... I am leary about starting on this bike from what I have been reading, but I guess I gotta learn on something haha
You will do just fine starting out on that bike. Take it easy at first then progress as you get more comfortabe. Take the MSF asap. If it's cold and rainy they will still have classes, you wont melt. Gear up, good helmet, jacket, gloves. Becareful of the sand. If it snows where you live they put alot out on the streets. Don't start your bike until you plan to ride it. Put on some frame sliders. Motovation makes a good set of no cut. Good luck.