General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Bike

Well, its new to me. I know my "new guy" post should go in the newbie thread, but I'm looking for some specific guidance on my new toy. I've had bikes of all kinds all my life and just a few months from 40, I decided to get a sport bike. I don't really know why, I just haven't had one and I wanted one. I am getting used to the incredible power and agillity of the CBR, but I'm not quite ready to carry a passenger or take it cross country. Bought it yesterday and rode about 100 miles on it today. Here's the review...

First, its an '01 F4i with about 20K on it. Everything is stock. I'm getting a vibration at RPM ranges from 4-8k. I'm sure its a normal vibration, but it almost completely numbed my right hand. With the bars mounted at an angle, I feel like there is alot of pressure on the outside heel of both hands. I experimented a little and loosed the bar clamps to rotate the bars outward slightly. I noticed a pin cast into the clip that rests in a notch in the tree. I raised the bars up just so that the pin cleard the notch and rotated them out just slightly and tightened them back down. My question is, should I put it back the way I found it, or will the clips stay tight even with a vibration? My concern is that the clips will eventually loosen due to the vibration and I may end up in deep doo doo. If there's no real danger of those clamps coming loose, (they were pretty snug to start with) then I think I am good to go. Any good kits out there to make that modification the right way?

I have a 330 mile commute to work and home every other week. The plan is to save some $ on gas by riding the bike. I originally wanted a sport-tourer, but this one came along right in my price range. With the bars adjusted comfortably, next is the seat. I've only found the Corbin replacement. Are there any others out there? Is Corbin the best choice for this bike? Is it really comfortable? I saw one on Ebay and the seller didn't like it.

So, what about that long ride...As I said, I wanted a bigger sport touring bike, but settled for this one. I figured I would get good and comfortable with the small one first and then maybe later step up. After comfort and control issues are addressed, I have some mechanical concerns. Is there any problem with running that small motor that long at interstate speeds? It takes me 5 hours on four wheels to get to work. Not that I would intentionally violate any speed limits, but I have a feeling the bike will get me there in less time. Still, it seems to me that maintaining 6500 rpm for five hours would be a little stressful on such a small engine. Any thoughts?

Old 04-28-2008, 12:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Bike

Ok first off... If your not used to riding a bike then you will feel some mad soreness and vibrations in your hand. If your talking about the topcrown on the fork you should at least make sure it is set to the proper torque. I would not want it that highjust for safety butthats me.Eventually your hands will get used to it and it will be better. But to cope with this situation you can get new grips or better gloves. Also for comfort of the bike this might help. Now on the topic of comfort... the f4i is not the most comfortable bike in the world. It has a split seat and offers little adjustability. The f4 on the other hand is a full one piece.. you can do a conversion called the tail swap... but that involves some work and most people like the look with the split seat anyways. I don't know much about aftermarket seats but hopefully someone on here will. A sport touring bike will be more comfortable but the f4i is alot sexier haha. They are fine at driving at high rpm.. it'll probably be closer to 7500 or higherrpm btw. Honda's are some of the most reliable bikes and have very little engine maintenance. You'll be fine.. might need a couple fuel stops but you'll be fine! GET SOME GEAR TOO... i just broke my ankle cuz i wasn't wearing my boots.. i'm an idiot! GL

Old 04-28-2008, 07:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Bike

It always takes a while to adapt to a new bike & you get used to them, though sometimes the pain in the **** (or wrists etc) will always be there regardless. All bikes are a compromise to a certain extent & there are a lot of things you can do to them to meet your needs (& comfort).
Guy next door to me is an apprentice plumber & 4 days a week he has 2 1/2 hour ride to work & another 2 1/2 back home on a Yammie trail bike, has a seat on it that looks reminiscent of brick & is probably as comfortable, but thats all he has ever ridden & he finds it comfortable, poor ignorant bastard.
My favourite add on, is a black tailored sheep skin for the seat, there are a lot of Gel type seat conversions, but this works really well for a fraction of the price.
I used to do a daily commute that racked up as many miles, & I know the capacity of the bike is meaningless to the miles you clock up as long as you maintain & service them on time. Which means because of the miles your doing, is going to be quite frequent, fer instance keep the chain adjusted & lubed if you have ridden through a few days of rain, which brings me to the next point, buy yourself good rain weather gear, including gloves & boots. Nothing worse than having to ride for a couple of hours in the rain with wet hands, feet & bum.