General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New bike

Hey guys. Just put a deposit on a used 2009 CBR1000RR. The thing looked like it was better-than-mint condition, but I suppose dealerships are good at that. My only concerns are this: 1) when the salesman brought it outside to start it up, it didn't turn over right away and took a few cranks. It came in approx. one week ago. Could this be normal since its been sitting? Also, when he started it up the exhaust (Yoshi R77 slip on) was blowing out a bit more smoke than expected when revved. Anything abnormal here?

Old 10-09-2011, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by tlarkin530
Hey guys. Just put a deposit on a used 2009 CBR1000RR. The thing looked like it was better-than-mint condition, but I suppose dealerships are good at that. My only concerns are this: 1) when the salesman brought it outside to start it up, it didn't turn over right away and took a few cranks. It came in approx. one week ago. Could this be normal since its been sitting? Also, when he started it up the exhaust (Yoshi R77 slip on) was blowing out a bit more smoke than expected when revved. Anything abnormal here?
Don't worry too much as my 2002 CBR 600 F1 wouldn't start on the day I asked for a test ride! Had to go back the next day. New battery had been fitted and the bike has been ok ever since. Smoking is normal when a bike has stood for a while and as long as it clears when you ride off, that's the main thing. If it was parked on its side stand oil can run down the valve guides and cause the smoke on initial start up. Of course, if it continues to smoke whilst on the move and doesn't clear eventually, I'd take it back and get the dealer to sort it.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:18 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 to Highway, he's got the chops and knows the walk.

Ern

Old 10-09-2011, 06:32 AM

Perfect, thanks! Those were my thoughts but I wanted the opinion of somebody more familiar with it. Thanks again!