General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Abandoned Bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 07:25 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default New Abandoned Bike

Hay all,

New here,

I just picked up an abandoned CBR F4i, I got it running today and I figured I'd sign up here for advice and parts. Pretty cool huh?

The following users liked this post:
Juancho Gasho (12-06-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 08:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey man welcome! Looks like you found some abandon treasure, nice find! A lot of guys on here will have some good tips for you. Can’t wait to see how she turns out!

Old 06-13-2020, 07:07 AM
Welcome crew
Received 212 Likes on 191 Posts

Abandoned? Like, just left on the side of the road and you scooped it up? Details! We want details! lol.

You gonna keep the flames? Looks tacky as hell, in an awesome, KISS band, sort of way!

Old 06-13-2020, 12:47 PM

Alright so here's the back story...

A coworker and I were bsing and I mentioned I specialize in jap vtwins but I work on everything and he saya, cool I got an old F4i I havent started in years. I knee jerk respond with, sold, I'll take it. He goes, well, if you want it come get it it's at my in laws place still. Anyhoo, the next day I swng by and pick it up on my way home and in the garage it goes.

Turns out he bought the bike new in 04 just as he went into boot camp. He drove it a little and eventually brought it to base and drove it regularly. Eventually he decided to get it chromed and spent about 6k having it done....

At some point he was in Iraq for a while and I'm not sure what happened then, but shortly after he returned stateside he had some sort of accident which accounts for the paint job and all the fiberglass I keep finding.

After the crash and subsequent repair it seems as though he got a little gun shy and parked it...in 2011...until now.

SeeBeeArr1

Doc Samson (06-13-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 06:56 PM

It's all stripped down now and so far it's pretty good. I have decided though that it's not going back on the road. Instead, I've been getting ready to run at Loring AFB in the standing mile but I've not wanted to beat up my other 2 bikes that I like and have put quite a bit of time in. So, the CBR, which I have nothing invested in...will become my track bike. I've stripped off the chrome from the frame and brought it back to matte black, I'll start putting it back together as I get time but basically it will be be in MPSG 600cc class for the first season, after that it'll be all bottle.....here's hoping...

SBR

Doc Samson (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 07:19 AM
Welcome crew

Originally Posted by SeeBeeArr1
It's all stripped down now and so far it's pretty good. I have decided though that it's not going back on the road. Instead, I've been getting ready to run at Loring AFB in the standing mile but I've not wanted to beat up my other 2 bikes that I like and have put quite a bit of time in. So, the CBR, which I have nothing invested in...will become my track bike. I've stripped off the chrome from the frame and brought it back to matte black, I'll start putting it back together as I get time but basically it will be be in MPSG 600cc class for the first season, after that it'll be all bottle.....here's hoping...

SBR
Thanks for the update! Would love to see any pics you feel like posting as you piece it back together!

"All bottle"? What does that mean?

Old 07-11-2020, 07:42 AM

Here's a couple pics...also "all bottle" is a dedicated nitrous motor. In order to make nitrous work without wasting your time an blowing the motor, you need to retard timing, run colder plugs, open up the ring gap and essentially make it not street friendly. Which is why I don't run nitrous on a street motor. It's effective at making power, but even more so if the motor is setup correctly, **especially ring end gap!!!. It actually goes hand in hand with a dedicated track bike setup nicely...a track back kinda sucks on the street and vice versa. Anyhoozle:

The rims and swingarm are actually ok still so I'll leave them chrome for now.

Still some imperfections from the chrome pitting and flaking but for the most part its pretty good.

The VHT epoxy lays down nice.

An excellent product...

The heart of the matter. This is by far the best time to do a valve check...

Old 07-11-2020, 08:04 AM
Welcome crew

Awesome! The black looks sooo much better than the chrome!

And "yes" x1000 regarding the valve check! Always amazes me how tight they fit things in engine areas now. I'll take my bike or car being 1" wider if it means I can actually get some tools to the area I need them!

Old 07-11-2020, 08:11 AM

There are no words to describe how much I dislike chrome on anything but a 50's buick.

The following 2 users liked this post by SeeBeeArr1:
Doc Samson (07-11-2020), Northern (08-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 08:22 AM
Welcome crew

Lol! Yeah, I don't get it... smh...

Quick Reply: New Abandoned Bike