General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

neutral switch prevents start

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation neutral switch prevents start

im pretty sure i have a neutral switch/sensor issue. cbr 600 2001 f4i
after riding the bike for longer then 20min, the neural sense on the dash either starts flickering or no longer indicates digitaly that i am not in neutral.

this prevents restart, say i stop for gas after riding for longer then 20min, i have to toggle the foot shifter while in physical neutral, after a couple toggles of the shifter, it starts, but the first couple restarts, once i lift the bike off the kick stand, the bike dies, i repeat this about three or four times untill im able to get the kickstand up and the bike in first year. note, the bike has never stared in first with the cluch in. ive always had to have it in neutral and ignition switch.

heres the weirdest part. if i let the bike sit for about 30 min, she starts up just fine, as normal , no issues what so ever, everytime.

the engine funtion works great, this is an electronic issue, im thikning neutral switch and or sensor needs to be cleaned with contact spray and or replace parts.

Old 12-13-2021, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm a little confused on what you're saying. It seems like a double-negative.

"the neural sense on the dash either starts flickering or no longer indicates digitally that i am not in neutral"

Can you clarify what you're saying here?

Old 12-13-2021, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i come to stop lights and put the engive in neutral, the light on the dash after riding for 20min or longer, begins to flicker or doesnt light up at all, thus , when i put the kick stand down, the bike dies and wont allow restart . say when i stop to get gas, put the bike in neutral, light on dash doesnt light up, put kick stand down. bike dies becuase the sensor isnt indicating neutral, the digital side of things think its in gear and kill the bike when kick stand is extended. and becuase of this i cant restart the bike for while cuase it doesnt read in neutral. and no, first gear with the cluch in doesnt start the bike, never has.

Old 12-13-2021, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Are you comfortable with the use of a meter? It sounds like you have some bad connections. There are a few different places where those connections could be. Since you can kill the bike by putting the side stand down, I'd say there is nothing wrong with your side stand switch. The Neutral switch shows continuity to ground when the transmission is in neutral. There is a Clutch Diode pack located on the fuse block as well. Any of these locations could have a bad connection and cause those symptoms. The contacts in the Clutch Lever switch could be dirty, or wire connections loose. These are the things I'd check.