General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 02:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help

I don't know if this is in the wrong section, or not.

I've never transported my bike before. I do not have a trailer. I wanted to get some input on if it would be a dumb idea transporting a bike in the back of a pick up for 150 miles. Or should I rent a trailer?

Old 03-08-2007, 02:52 AM
Default RE: Need some help

you can haul a bike in the bed of a truck for any amount of time you want to. just make sure you strap it down well and you're good to go.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a tow bar, won't don't you see if you can hire a bike trailer? If not get yourself a few sets of Tiedowns from an auto shop, their cheap enough and are made from the same material as set belts. They have a ratchet type buckle which you use to take up the slack and then lock it in place. Two on each side minimum, you need to tie it off at the front and the back as well. If you only have a side stand, then don't use it, just have someone hold the bike upright till you tie it down. Or if you have a center stand use that. Make sure the front wheel is resting againt the cabin end of the pick up, make sure you don't attach ties to anything that will break off on the 1st corner, and don't tie it down on anything that can pivet ( like the front wheel & bars). Use a plastic tie down around the hand brake, so the bike can't move to far forward or back, although they can slide. (Smooth driving is the key)
Grab some blankets or anything really that will soften a fall should you have one and lay em each side of the bike. put em in place before you attempt to get the bike up the ramp, just in case. Oh last thing, I've seen to many guys try to ride there bike up the ramp, 1 of 2 things can happen. 1st you have every chance of running off the ramp.2nd your not going to have your feet in place to use both the rear & front brakes, which means you may be going to hit the front brake to hard when you exit the ramp to the pick up, and lose your balance. So if you can organise a couple friends to help you push it up, ( and more important to help get it off.)

Old 03-08-2007, 02:58 PM

FRIENDS are the key for the back of the truck method. +1 pacemaker

Old 03-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or a loading dock

Old 03-08-2007, 09:30 PM

thanks for the help guys

Old 03-09-2007, 02:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done it with the bike running and some friends cause i really don't want people pushing on my plastics. I just use the bike power to load it and a couple of friends to help giude it i also walk next to the bike DON"T GET ON IT AT ALL.