General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help -Wont start - FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help -Wont start - FIXED

My bike has been running fine until two days ago.I rode it to work no problems, rode it the next day and it started sounding like a parallel twin....Now it will not start at all.

When i try to start it....wont do anything without choke. With choke on it almost fires but still wont catch, white smoke comes out of the tail pipe and gives a heavy smell of gas. My last fill up i put about 5 ounces of sea-foam with the gas.

Im thinking a clogged fuel filter/ petcock. Or my plugs fouled out. Going to break it down next weekend and use some carb cleaner spray to see if it will fire up. If it does start up and burn that off and die then i suppose im looking at something clogged up ( right ) ? If it still doesnt fire then fouled plugs/ other ?

Old 12-14-2008, 02:56 AM
Default RE: Need Help -Wont start

sounds like fouled plugs. Especially since a cylinder or two dropped off while you were driving it (V-twin sound). Once one drops off, the others soon follow.

The problem with the sparkplugs in these bikes is once they foul, the need to be replaced.

Make sure your not running champion plugs. If you are, switch over to NGK. If your running NGK, get a new set and your problems will more than likely be over.

Just be careful to warm your bike up completely before taking off. That means at least 3 minutes. If the bike isnt warmed up completely, your chance of fouling a plug are much greater.

Also, while your changing your plugs. With the plugs out, crank over the engine a few times to purge any gas that may still be in the cylinders. You dont want a chance fouling out a new set of plugs.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:55 AM

ty, fouled plugs must be the culprit. Didnt think about warming the bike before riding it and the night i left work coming home. It was about 31 degrees outside and i didnt warm it up. The next day i rode it, the weird sound started and two days later after sitting in the garage wont start.

Now, I have seen ways to change plugs on here: take off gas tank, air box etc....

The manual tells a diffrent way. Take off fairings and radiator......which way is easier....btw i do not have the spark plug tool.

While im asking - Should i run a hotter plug than is it it or stay factory. Dont think its jetted, just runing a slip on D&D.

And: What else should i do while im changing the plugs ??

Old 12-14-2008, 08:13 AM

It depends on the model which way is easier. Most bikes its easier to lift the gas tank. On my 1000rr, I have to go through the front by removing the radiator. i actually had to lift the tank as well just to have an additional hand in there. My suggestion would be to try to lift the tank and the airbox, if you cant get to them that way, go the other route, but this way, you will at least have the ability to see what you are doing if you do have to through the front.

I would not run a hotter plug. The heat range that your plug has is designed for your bike and your only going to run into problems messing with heat ranges.

As far as a spark plug tool, you only need an extension and a 5/8 deepwell socket. I actually use a combination of two short extensions. This way, I can attach one extension to the socket, place it in the hole, then attach the other so its long enough to reach the rachet. Otherwise, its very hard to get an extension that is long enough to reach the plug and also manuveor around between the engine and the frame. Once I have the plug loose, I remove the extensions and the socket. I then use an extenable pen magnet to grab the plug with. the top portion of the plug is metal so it works out well. You can pick up a cheap magnet at any autoparts store for a couple of bucks.

Also, check to make sure the plugs gap is correct.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:33 AM

Ok thx, going to try to get this done next weekend doesnt sound like to long of a job maybe 2 hours tops. Way more of a hassle than changning spark plugs in any other vehicle i've ever owned but, hopefully it will fix this problem, so i can atleast ride again.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:37 PM

thx justasquid, got it fixed today those plugs were pretty bad off. Didnt have the champions in it he was running the same thing i put back in it NGK iridiums. Only took about 20 mins start to finish to change the spark plugs.

Now back to the project of sanding and repainting. Decided to spray it with flat black enamel paint. And do some orange graphics. Found a place down here that powder coats the wheels. Just have to buy some stands for when their getting powder coated.

Also i found a plug socket with a swivel built on it. used it along with a 3" extention to get the job done.