General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help fixing this.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 01:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help fixing this.

Hi al,l I'm in need of help. I'm trying to bend this back to the original position and I dont know how to doit, I have looked on YouTube and I cant seem to find anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Have you considered hitting it with a hammer?

You can see that the peg acted as a lever when it hit the ground, twisting the part. Apply force in the opposite direction on the end of the peg. Repeat if necessary. It's aluminum, so if it cracks you're done

Or else you can remove the part and flatten it using a vice and a couple blocks of wood. Like a sandwich

Old 04-17-2019, 12:38 AM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Agree with tentacle here.
If you try to use bars though gaps to try and straighten you’ll just go round in circles making it all weaker as you go. Whip it off and use a vice with wood to protect your finish. Disassembly might help but go at it slowly.
Hope it goes well mate.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:18 AM

Im a Bladesmith so I have the equipment to hear it up and put it on the forging press and slowly straightening it back im hoping it doesn't crack on me, if it does ill be forging one out of Damascus..... lol

Old 04-17-2019, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

I'd avoid heat n beat on aluminum parts, especially cast. Acts the opposite way you'd think

Works great for steel though

So we're gonna need to see some Damascus pegsets though. Preferably for an '87 Hurricane

Old 04-17-2019, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by tentacleslap
I'd avoid heat n beat on aluminum parts, especially cast. Acts the opposite way you'd think

Works great for steel though

So we're gonna need to see some Damascus pegsets though. Preferably for an '87 Hurricane
HA HA HA HA!!! I will have to make a set just for the hell of it.... as far as applying heat, the worse thing it can happen is it brakes.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Repsol610
.... as far as applying heat, the worse thing it can happen is it brakes.
Well yeah, but aluminum gets harder and more brittle when it gets hot. Then it gets soft all in a hurry. It's tricky stuff to work with

Everything is better with Damascus. But realistically, how about bar ends? That's just a lump of steel with a hole drilled through it right? I'd love to see it done but I'm a panel-beater not a blacksmith

Old 04-17-2019, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by tentacleslap
Well yeah, but aluminum gets harder and more brittle when it gets hot. Then it gets soft all in a hurry. It's tricky stuff to work with

Everything is better with Damascus. But realistically, how about bar ends? That's just a lump of steel with a hole drilled through it right? I'd love to see it done but I'm a panel-beater not a blacksmith
That's also a great idea ill have to think of that since making those bar ends would take a goof amount of steel. and to make that's thick Damascus is not easy nor cheap lol

Old 04-17-2019, 09:15 PM

Well thank God for my 20 ton forging press and my forging skills, little by little and between 2 pieces of wood I managed to get the piece that was bend, straight!!!!!!

Old 04-17-2019, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

Nice!

Quick Reply: Need help fixing this.