General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help...

I have a 2002 honda 600 f4i. When I go to stop, my bike wants to die. At times i have I have problems getting it to start back up. It seems like I have a miss, but I am unsure how to really diagnose it. My idol is set right around 1400 rpms. i changed the spark plugs thinking that was the deal. they didn't seem to help. it is still doing it. i can get it to start up just fine in the mornings. after it warms up its a pain to get it to start. i have never had this problem with the bike until about a month or so ago. if anyone has any ideas please feel free to let me know. thanks.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is your choke stuck partially on, or not closing possibly? Would explain it firing up fine from cold, but not running or starting well after the warm-up.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:16 AM

how would i check to see if that is it? i know its automatic. its just a pain. it ran fine for me earlier this year. now it seems to want to crap out on me at a stop. it seems like i have to stay on the throttle so it won't die.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ridefast
it seems like i have to stay on the throttle so it won't die.
Ahh - there's your problem, you're apparently riding a Harley.

j/k - bad joke

I'm downloading a service manual for your bike right now to look at - gimme a bit and I'll see what I come up with.

Did the bike sit any significant amount of time without being run? You might want to mix in about half a bottle, ~6-8 ounces, of Seafoam treatment in your fuel tank, and top the tank off with some premium. see if that makes a diff. Check your air filter while you're at it.

Ok- downloaded manual - if you don't have the service manual, get it here: http://www.stephygee.com/f4imanual.zip

you're right - choke is automatic - my bad.

That opens up a lot of other troubleshooting though. fuel pressure, throttle position sensor, improper idle adjustment, sensor faults, lots of stuff that could cause what you're describing. Get the manual and run through the troubleshooting steps there if the simple stuff doesn't fix it.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:07 AM

harleys are the best ride a mile walk the rest. lol.

i have put some injection cleaner in with the gas. i always run 91 or higher in the tank. i will have to download the manual and take a look at it. i appreciate your help.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:24 PM

its fuel injected it should not have a choke try turning up the idle

Old 07-29-2010, 03:58 AM

try turning up the idle
At 1400 rpms, I would actually suggest turning the idle down a bit. Your a couple of hundred rpms too high. It won't help your issue, but your idle is high. Your probably on the verge of having the transmission "clunk" while shifting into first gear right now due to the high idle.

You didn't mention how many miles are on the bike, or if there has been any accidents. I am assuming it just started to do this.

My first thought would be to inspect the fuel pressure regulator. I would pull the vacuum line off and make sure there is no sign of gas. If there is, the FPR has had an internal failure and it would explain why your bike is hard starting when warm. Most of the time, a bad FPR will cause a rich condition. When the bike is cold, it helps the bike start, but when warm, it makes harder to start. By giving the bike more throttle, your introducing more air through the throttle bodies and making up for the extra fuel being dumped in when the bike is warm, which explains why giving it throttle input helps keep it running.

And, the FPR is a common problem with F4i's.

Having said that. It could also be a coil acting up. If the FPR checks ok, pull the coils and do a resistance check on them.

Last edited by justasquid; 07-29-2010 at 04:00 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:38 AM

the bike has about 18000 on it. and no it has not been in any accidents. i have had a couple people look at it. they have told me to also check the valves. i don't know if the valves have ever been checked. and that will give us a piece of mind also. i will check the fuel pressure regulator. we can only go from there.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:24 AM

just to let anyone know, it was the fuel pressure regulator. replace it last night and it runs great now. it was an easy fix. just hate waiting on parts to come in.