General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My wife wrecked her bike! Need advise

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My wife wrecked her bike! Need advise

So my wife wrecked her bike pretty good and it needs a lot of work. Its an 04 gsxr 600. I know its knida off topic being in the cbr forum but I figured u guys could help. The whole engine casing is cracked from one side to the other so I need another engine. Any ideas of where to find one for a good price? I also need the left half of the subframe. She did a number on this thing.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Default RE: My wife wrecked her bike! Need advise

Trying to post pics of it. Not sure if this is working lol.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Registered Users

just throwing this out there, but if she did enough damage to crack the entire engine casing from one side to the other and she destroyed the sub-frame...my first though would be there is likely damage to the frame...if there is damage to the frame, you shouldn't be rebuilding it without having the frame fixed which would be costly....

before investing money into a sub and engine, have the frame checked out...professionally for cracks, tweaks, stress, etc....seeing as it is your wife, i wouldn't take ANY chances....

just my .02

Old 10-15-2008, 05:18 PM

start pullin' plastic to see what else is bent...like fairing stays,etc. With frame and engine damage it may be a write off. Will your insurance cover it?

Old 10-15-2008, 05:21 PM

I already had a friend that works at my local honda shop check out the frame and its fine. It had frame sliders on it. I already have it apart and the engine out. I also have a whole new body already on the bike just to see what it looks like. Thanks for all ur input guys. Keep it coming

Old 10-15-2008, 05:27 PM

Check at your localbike wreckers to see if you can find an engine. Ebay is another good source.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:33 PM

That looks vicious dude. Hope the wifey is ok. And I definitely agree with Fingers. I dont think I would even buy a new bolt for a bike with a damaged frame.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a complete 03 that i am parting out engine should bolt right in. also have the subframe. where are you located? i think the only difference is the front nose forks and headlight. pm for pics/ info

Old 10-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say I hope your wife is ok, but I think if she wasn't you'd have mentioned it. Best of luck either way, it's a bad feeling.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:44 PM

I hope your wife is ok. Thats the thing I'm afraid of most of all when my wife starting riding.

I agree to get the frame checked out. Just a visual is not going to do enough. It really needs to be put on a jig and measured. that means completely taking the frame down to a bare frame.Like already said, if the engine is cracked all the way across, all of the stress was put into the frame as well. Just because there isnt any impact points on the outside of the frame, doesnt mean there isnt damage to it. Frames arent nearly as strong as some people think. there are pinpointed weak points all along it and these are the areas that will be affected. the frame being out only a few thousandths of an inch at the center is quite a bitat the wheels.It sounds like a lot of work, and it is. But if you put back together a bike that isnt true, more than likely she will go down again, but because of an ill handling bike. I personally wouldnt put my wife back on a bike that wasnt 100 percent.

Again, hope your wife is ok.

Quick Reply: My wife wrecked her bike! Need advise