General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my Motion Pro carb sync tool broken?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 04:19 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Post Is my Motion Pro carb sync tool broken?

Quick question guys.

I pulled out my carb sync tool today to sync up my bandit's carbs and I can't get the unit to sync itself.

As per the directions, I open up all of the screws so that no fluid escapes - yet sure enough, as soon as I start the bike up, all of the fluid rushes up and out. I tried it several times. Just to check for stupidity, I tightened all of the screws (bike off-unit not connected) and that pushes the fluid into the tubes - so I'm pretty certain I don't have it backwards.

I allowed time for the fluid to return and settle in between tries. I'm on the master carb. All other vacuum ports are plugged up. I can't figure this out.

...so what gives? I tuned a couple of bikes with it before I moved when I was still in NC, so I know it did work, but how did it break, if that's what happened?

Old 12-23-2014, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 339 Likes on 278 Posts

Are you sure you have tight fittings everywhere? Are there any splits in the hoses?
I have the gauge type of MP sync tools so I don't have experience with the fluid type, but the principles should be the same.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have the restrictors in place in the tubes? Are the tubes attached the right way (restrictors at the carb end of the tube)

Old 12-23-2014, 10:37 PM

I gave the vacuum lines a quick once-over, so I'll give them a closer look tmr. No big visible cracks, but I didn't look too closely I suppose.

Matti-I assume so, but I didn't check it. After i set it up, IIRC, those things weren't going to move around. I'll check tmr and maybe give Motion Pro a call (if they're open). I'll see if this is something they've dealt with before. But it's a Bandit 600. It's not like we're talking a ton of motor - considering the last bike I tuned with them was a ZX-11, and I also synced a Kat 750 (same basic carbs). Something is off.

One thing of curiosity - does anyone else's mixture screws seem like poor fitment? When I loosen the screws to keep the fluid down, the screws rub a good bit on the body of the unit - to the point where I have to put a LOT of force on the screwdriver to get them open completely. Could that cause something? The seating of that mixture screw being loose and causing a leak?.

Despite it happening multiple times instantly today, I never lost any fluid. It all returned to the tubes - eventually...they all sit at about the halfway mark, which is about what I remember them being....

Last edited by Conrice; 12-23-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:36 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I do have a theory, and now we have undeniable proof of it...

Wanna know what it is?

The Bandit 600 sucks big time!

Sorry, just couldn't pass the chance hope you get it sorted! Don't have experience on that particular gauge, got a carbtune pro that has solid rods for gauges.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:35 AM

Well, maybe my Christmas list is getting a last minute update! To be honest, I've been impressed with the baby-bandit so far. That thing sat for essentially a year with me (and I know it sat for a long while with the PO), and after a quick clean of the carbs, it starts and runs, purrs like a kitten.

Not bad for a $450 basket-case. Just need to finish a few things and it'll be road worthy.

Thanks for the info guys, I can't figure it out. Maybe a non fluid based unit is in my near future.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattson
Do you have the restrictors in place in the tubes? Are the tubes attached the right way (restrictors at the carb end of the tube)
+1, I'm figuring it's the restrictors too.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:02 PM
Senior Member and ROTM March 2014
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Conrice, do you want my balance tool I made? It's extraordinarlily sensitive and capable... and it's been sitting in my garage since last year this time, when I successfully used it to balance the carbs on my sold-off WorshipCycle.

I'll send it to you if you pay for the shipping.

Lemmie know.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:46 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FOGeologist
Conrice, do you want my balance tool I made? It's extraordinarlily sensitive and capable... and it's been sitting in my garage since last year this time, when I successfully used it to balance the carbs on my sold-off WorshipCycle.

I'll send it to you if you pay for the shipping.

Lemmie know.
Now that is an extraordinarily very generous offer (or an extreme p1ss take, I have to assume that in the spirit of this Forum,that it is the former rather than the latter).

Can I put myself in line for the same deal after Conrice is finished?

Old 01-01-2015, 08:30 AM

Wow FOG, that is a great offer. I've had family in town, so I haven't tried anything yet. I did cut about 8 inches off all of the tubes, cut my restrictors out and reset them. I'm going to try and sync them again today.

I'll report back afterwards and update whether it worked or not. I really hope it works and my sync tool wasnt really broken during the move...

Thanks again FOG, its another example of what makes rgis the best forum on the net.

Quick Reply: Is my Motion Pro carb sync tool broken?