General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my first cbr=)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009 | 11:02 PM
|
Smile my first cbr=)

hey guys. i'm 16 and just bought my first bike. a 1997 honda cbr 600f3, i have a couple newbie questions i would like to know. first off is a 600f3 a good bike, what are some of its pros/cons. what is considered low miles i have 12,000. also i have been doing small upgrades lately including frame sliders that are made from derlin are they any good? also the bike has a brand new micron exhaust, is micron a good brand and do exhausts increase performance? and also the guy i bought it from said that he ran it on fully synthetic oil and premium gas. its time for an oil and plug change and i was wondering whats the best fully synthetic oil to run in my bike and whats the best plugs to run. thanks for your time guys, i know i'm prolly annoying to you pros but please help me out. i'm new to bikes and want to know everything.

Last edited by 97600f3; 09-05-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-05-2009 | 11:23 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

yes its a great bike

Pros:great learning/intermediate/track bike, plenty of power, very supported in the aftermarket, plenty of replacement parts available
Cons:with all hondas the Regulator/rectifier/stator have inhierent flaws

these bikes will run forever as long as maintenance is kept up on them, 12,000 is low.
micron is a good brand but more of a preference and no they dont really increase the performance more abot audio stimulation

i always run mobil1 10w40 full synth.. again this is a endlessly debated topic (as with which is the best exhaust)

if you wanna learn , read read and read some more. almost all topics you can think of have been covered here. welcome to the forum

Old 09-06-2009 | 12:21 AM
Administrator - Retired

Yep, what HAVOC said...

The F3 is a great bike and 12k miles is almost nothing.
Oil is kind-of a personal preference thing, but don't run regular car oils that contain "energy conserving" additives.
For plugs, you can just find the ones that fit your bike from the manual. This is a well debated topic, too, but I just run the regular recommended NGKs.

To familiarize yourself more with the bike, make sure you read the owner's manual, and then download a service manual from the top sticky in this section. It will really help you better understand your bike.

Also, you aren't annoying anybody. It's best to ask questions if you need an answer. That's what this forum is all about.

Old 09-06-2009 | 06:58 AM

Great bike. Definately Shade Tree Mechanic-able which will cut down on costs. Only con I've found its more temperamental than a 2 year old sometimes. And its a 'heavy' bike, being relative to newer models.

Great first bike to have, especially while learning the ropes. I'd be beyond furious if I dropped a brand new one (or the 2010 BMW I'm drooling after) due to newbie crap.

Old 09-06-2009 | 07:48 AM
Talking

i'm 16 and just bought my first bike. a 1997 honda cbr 600f3,

Though I'm not a mod or part of the welcoming comittee - I wanted to say CONGRATS! You'll love the cbr.

i have a couple newbie questions i would like to know. first off is a 600f3 a good bike, what are some of its pros/cons.

Honda’s CBR600F series, produced from 1987 to 2006, are recognized as the best all-around middleweight sportbikes in motorcycle history. In this article you will learn why and how this motorbike platform earned this title.
In 1987, the year the CBR600F was introduced to the market, the bike won each and every one of AMA 600 Supersport races. And from 1987 to 2000, CBR600F mounted riders won more than 50% of all major 600 cc Supersport races held around the World. This is a pretty impressive record that no other sportbike in the 600 cc category can match.
But Honda’s CBR600F success wasn’t only due to its victories in the race track, but also from offering to the public a bike with racetrack performance and power adapted to real world riding at an affordable price.
The sales of CBR600F models accounted for half of Honda’s sportbike sales during the 19 years this series was in production.
A little history of the CBR600F evolution
1987 – The first CBR600F was nick named Honda Hurricane and it was introduced to the market with a very smart and aggressive marketing campaign that aimed to dethrone its main competitors of that time: the Kawasaki Ninja and the Suzuki Katana. Due to the impressive capabilities of the motorcycle and the effectiveness of the marketing campaign, the Hurricane didn’t see almost any competition in its first three years of production. You can find the tech specs of the bike in this page.
1989 – The Honda Hurricane moniker was dropped and it became just the CBR600F.
1990 – The engine of the CBR600F was exhaustively reworked: the cylinder head porting was revised, it was fitted with higher compression pistons, the combustion chambers were reconfigured, the cam timing was altered and a new exhaust system was added. All this changes resulted basically in a new engine that could produce 10 hp more that its predecessor.
1991 – The bike suffered a complete redesign. The new model under the CBR600F platform was named the CBR600F2.
Major changes were:
  • A stiffer frame
  • A shorter wheelbase to quicken handling
  • RC30 style wheels were fitted into the bike
  • A better suspension for smoother riding
  • A lighter and more compact in-line four engine
  • The cylinders were given more oversquare dimensions
  • Piston compression was also increased
  • Bigger carburetors were added
  • Internal frictions were reduced
All these changes resulted in an even better performing bike that could generate more than 100 hp, the first bike in the 600 cc to accomplish this.
The result: an instant success in the track (CBR600F2 riders won all AMA 600 Supersport races in 1991) and in the streets (even though Kawasaki and Suzuki competition was getting tougher, more CBR600F2’s were sold than Ninja’s and Katana’s together).
1995 – It was the turn for the CBR600F3. This bike is considered by many as the masterpiece of Masanori Aoki (one of the best engineers at Honda and Large Project Leader).
Some of the major changes were:
  • The chassis was retuned
  • The suspension was recalibrated
  • Combustion chambers were reconfigured in order to provide a higher compression ratio.
  • A new computer controlled ignition system was fitted into the engine
  • A new dual-stage ram-air intake system was also installed in the bike
Thanks to the improvements made, this amazing sportbike could top over 150 mph.
This bike was once again a big success and CBR600F3 riders won each and every one of the eleven AMA 600 cc Superbike races that were disputed during 1995. This without mentioning, that sales to the general public were pretty good, too.

*c/p from http://www.japanesemotorcyclesworld....a-cbr600f.html

But I think if you do some searches around here Jules has posted some truly amazing and detailed reviews of the bikes.

what is considered low miles i have 12,000.

The CBR will outlast us all I think. it's a pretty bulletproof bike as far as I'm concerned, but I'm pretty biased.

also i have been doing small upgrades lately including frame sliders that are made from derlin are they any good? also the bike has a brand new micron exhaust, is micron a good brand and do exhausts increase performance? and also the guy i bought it from said that he ran it on fully synthetic oil and premium gas. its time for an oil and plug change and i was wondering whats the best fully synthetic oil to run in my bike and whats the best plugs to run. thanks for your time guys, i know i'm prolly annoying to you pros but please help me out. i'm new to bikes and want to know everything.[/quote]

As for the upgrades/oil/exhaust - those are up to yourself. Much debate has been discussed in the forums on this. My answer would be that if you like it - thats all that matters.

Also if you have any questions - just post em ... these guys know more about the honda lineup of cbrs than the local class A mechanics where I live.

Last edited by NorthernF1; 09-06-2009 at 07:50 AM. Reason: I hate spelling mistakes. lol
Old 09-06-2009 | 02:24 PM
|

Originally Posted by HAVOC
yes its a great bike

Pros:great learning/intermediate/track bike, plenty of power, very supported in the aftermarket, plenty of replacement parts available
Cons:with all hondas the Regulator/rectifier/stator have inhierent flaws

these bikes will run forever as long as maintenance is kept up on them, 12,000 is low.
micron is a good brand but more of a preference and no they dont really increase the performance more abot audio stimulation

i always run mobil1 10w40 full synth.. again this is a endlessly debated topic (as with which is the best exhaust)

if you wanna learn , read read and read some more. almost all topics you can think of have been covered here. welcome to the forum
what are some signs that the Regulator/rectifier/stator is acting up?

Old 09-06-2009 | 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by 97600f3
what are some signs that the Regulator/rectifier/stator is acting up?
Lots of time spent on a battery charger even after rides

Old 09-06-2009 | 07:30 PM
|

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Lots of time spent on a battery charger even after rides
ok so my bike started making a ticking noise after i drove it on the freeway 135mph at 8k rmp. and also when i shift into neutral after parking the bike when i let off the clutch i hear a rattling noise but when i pull it in its quite like normal

Old 09-06-2009 | 07:38 PM

97600 you said you were new to bike and please do not take this as a bad comment but please stay away from the 135mph range save that stuff for a track day buddy... ride safe man and enjoy yourself because i definitly wanna see you hit 17

Old 09-06-2009 | 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by drax13
97600 you said you were new to bike and please do not take this as a bad comment but please stay away from the 135mph range save that stuff for a track day buddy... ride safe man and enjoy yourself because i definitly wanna see you hit 17
+1
Hate to sound old. But I am (37) and I got here by avoiding unnecessary risks. And there's no reason I can think of to hit 135 outside a controlled environment.

More importantly, 97600f3: You can have all the confidence in your abilities and skill. But I hope you can recognize that you cannot say the same about your bike

Originally Posted by 97600f3
ok so my bike started making a ticking noise after i drove it on the freeway 135mph at 8k rmp. and also when i shift into neutral after parking the bike when i let off the clutch i hear a rattling noise but when i pull it in its quite like normal
If you have the slightest question or concern about your equipment, don't push it until you can say without a doubt that everything is in top running condition. At 135 mph, you will have enough to mind. Traffic, road conditions, your own body condition. Your bike cannot be in that list. A mechanical failure at that speed = game over.