General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my engine case fixable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my engine case fixable?

****ing ***** of **** ... so i pulled the stator cover off the bike and the case was chipped ... small part ...

is this fixable or do i need a whole new case??

Old 09-17-2010, 08:29 PM

I'd take it to a TIG welder. It looks like there is enough room to get into both sides with weld. It really shouldn't cost more than 50 bucks to have it welded back on.

You could try a cheap fix, and use a cold weld. Use it on both mating parts, and also around the crack on the inside and outside. Then, instead of using the same bolt that was in there, find one a little smaller, and use a nut on the back. It looks there is enough material on the main case so the nut you use should have enough support to hold the cover.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:37 PM

X2 on both suggestions. A good welder would have no trouble with that whatsoever. JBweld would fix that as well. Use a dremel and dig a small "ditch" along the mating surfaces and rough up the aluminum as much as you can. Then let it sit at least 24 hours, should seal with no problems. Excellent suggestion with the smaller bolt/nut. I've fixed several cracked cases, oil pans, side covers, etc. with JBweld. If you prep the surface with dremel tool and get it really clean (alcohol pads) it'll treat you right.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Robles929
****ing ***** of **** ... so i pulled the stator cover off the bike and the case was chipped ... small part ...

is this fixable or do i need a whole new case??

It can be tig welded, but it is going to cost you way more than $50. It is cast aluminum and does not weld good. Plus, it will have to be welded around the threads and retapped in order to put a bolt through. I charge $85/hour for tig aluminum with a 1 hour minimum, plus labor and material. That is standard around here and I'm assuming it would be pretty close in California as well. I am not sure I would trust JB Weld to hold up, maybe LabMetal would be a better choice.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:01 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I will look around and ask around for a good Welding shop to get this done. Thanks to the big motorcycle community here in San Diego, I already have a friend looking into it for me as well.