General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my bike overheats!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my bike overheats!

I just bought an 01 f4i. It starts and runs good but overheats after running for a while, even when idling. The coolant blevel is ok and the thermostat works. What could be the cause?

Old 09-21-2007, 09:27 PM
Default RE: my bike overheats!

More info. What temps are you reaching? What is your idle set at? What kind of ambient temps are you riding in? Any blockage in front of your radiator? Is your fan not starting? Are all your radiator fins crusted with bugs?

Old 09-22-2007, 02:02 PM

Thanks for the reply. I checked the fan and found its not working.i pulled the fan and shop checked the fan and said it works so i changed the thermo switch. Still not coming on. Any ideas? I shut the bike down when the temp reaches about 245 degrees.The radiator is clean, but cleaned it more just for good measure.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:31 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bigjo

Thanks for the reply. I checked the fan and found its not working. i pulled the fan and shop checked the fan and said it works so i changed the thermo switch. Still not coming on. Any ideas? I shut the bike down when the temp reaches about 245 degrees.The radiator is clean, but cleaned it more just for good measure.
Did you check the fan relay and/or fuse? (or is that what a thermo switch is?)

Old 09-23-2007, 01:51 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

i was thinking the same thing fox just couldnt figure out how to word it so i edited my post to save face [][:@]

Old 09-24-2007, 07:00 AM

The fuse/relay is ok. I checked the wiring as far back I could follow it, I'm stumped. Want to avoid bringing it to the dealer. The thermo switch is the fan motor switch. That's what the dealer called it, so I used the same term. I thought I was using the wrong name. I appreciate any ideas.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:09 AM
Ty

Well if you have power through the relay, and you checked the wiring, and the fan is good, then it should be working. There's really nothing else. Do you have power to the fan when you are supposed to? If you do and the fan isn't starting, the dealer prolly told you the fan was good without checking it. Hook up test leads straight from the battery to the fan and see if it turns on. If not, get a fan. If so, keep looking for the electrical gremlins. They're in there somewhere.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:43 AM

I checked the fan myself and it works, so i guess ill have to keep looking at the wiring. Thanks for the reply's.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:19 AM

my bike was doing the same when I got it. turned out the fan thermo switch was bad, so I just connected theplug straight
to ground and fan came on, ( that was temporary I 've since put in a toggle switch ),
BUT still ran hot.
I had checked the coolant and it had looked fine, untilI started sqeezing hoses at idlechecking for flow and
thermostat operation, it seems there was just enough coolant to cause a pocket under the cap, so I kept sqeezing the air
out and filling until it was completely full.
No problems since.