General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My battery isnt charging -HELP-

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My battery isnt charging -HELP-

Alright so im a total newb when it comes to bikes, but ive gone out and done it Ive got a used Honda CBR F4 600cc. I just put in a new clutch, but now the mechanic is telling me that the bike is not charging. Has anybody experienced this problem? I can use all the help i can get even if its just speculation. I just dont want to get screwed by the mechanic, and I also dont want him to charge me for diagnostics so if i can just point him to the problem that would save me some money.

ok so apparently he tells me that the voltage that is supposed to be charging the battery is not actually charging the battery at the levels is should be.

Old 07-30-2006, 08:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My battery isnt charging -HELP-

Don't want to denergrate bike shops, but some are told bastards when to comes to this sort of thing. Was the bike running ok when you took it in?, Starting ok, that sort of thing. The regulators on Honda's has never been known to great so it could be just a coincidence. And they do go like that, (he could have also fried it when he was charging your battery). And why is he having to charge the battery if its the clutch? Is it rideable? If you can get it out of there maybe take to an auto electrcian or another shop, either way your only going to be up for the same thing.

Old 07-30-2006, 10:00 PM

as long as it starts ride it home
and purchase a new battery yourself... save the 100bux

Old 08-01-2006, 03:20 AM

I bought an used F3 about 2 months ago, it rode fine on my way home, and to the shop for inspection (and passed!); all together about 3 hours of riding time before the battery went out on me in a parking lot. I got a new battery ($60) and had it charged properly at the parts store, AND an aftermarket rectifier/regulator ($90) with cooling fin.

After all was installed, I measured the battery charging at about 15v when the rev goes up to about 3000-4000RPM, checked with a local Honda dealership and was told that's the correct charging voltage. So far it has been about 10 hours of riding time and the its holding up.

good luck!

Old 08-01-2006, 05:37 AM

Yeah stock Honda regulator/rectifiers have been known to overheat and melt internal diodes that cut off current to the battery. Get a cheap voltage tester, set it to 12V DC and put the red cable on the positive side of the battery and the black cable on the negative terminal. Crank the bike up and you should be able to see the voltage initially drop, then rise slowly to around 13.5 - 14.5V at idle and rise a little when you rev it to 5k rpms. Another possible problem is the stator assembly. If these things get hot, the insulation that keeps all of the copper wires isolated starts to break down and you could have some wires grounding out, rendering the stator useless.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:05 PM

Yea when i first got my 98 cbr 600 f3 the reg/rec went on it i would ride the bike for like 30mins kill it and it wouldnt start again so i charged the battery and took it to an auto parts store to ahve it tested and they said it was fine.....so i narrowed it down to the reg/rec and stator.....here are some tests you can do with a multimeter to check if its the reg/rec http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/140473.aspx...this site help me a lot.....

1998 CBR 600 F3
2001 Gsxr 600

Old 08-01-2006, 02:08 PM

Oh forgot to mention that if your reg/rec is bad DONT RIDE IT!!! You can fry your wiring....

Old 08-01-2006, 06:45 PM

Awsome thanks ppl, so if they offer me a part ill try and get the aftermarket instead of the OEM. The bike was having charging problems before i brought it in, so i think that its a legit regulator failure.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:20 PM

Take the cover off the battery that says dont remove [&o]
if its dry get a new one,
and do the above with the volt meter if you get a good 14volts across the battery it,s charging
but sometimes when the Battery is bone dry it shorts and wont register a charge and the rectifier gets
really hot.
somewhere up the thread somone said 15 volts if your getting this your verging on overcharge and this will cook the battery
anything between 13V ~ 14.5V

Old 08-11-2006, 09:13 AM

[8D] hey dude first thing that i would do is get a 12 volt or multimetter tester and see what your voltage is before you start your bike and the start your bike then see if your voltage goes up.with out the the bike running you should have about 12.3 volts with the bike running you should have about 13.8 to 14.3 volts.allso how old is the batt. in the bike if it is more than 2 years old i would get a new one and allso get a batt. tender do not youse a car charger to charg or start a bike with and never use a car to jump a bike with to the amp from car to bike ia to much and you will fry thing.if you do not see the voltage chang or the voltage is to high more than 14.6 volts and up to 15 volts chang out your voltage reg right away. and yes you can do it yourself.

Quick Reply: My battery isnt charging -HELP-