General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Transport

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycle Transport

I noticed that Uhaul rented motorcycle trailers, but my car doesnt have a hitch. Buying a hitch and getting it installed would cost around 150, on top of the 17 dollar a day motorcycle trailer. So I was thinking of renting a Flatbed truck from Uhaul, like a GMC 1500, and transporting it that way, 20 dollars for the rental and .69 a mile ( I need to travel 110 miles about ). So does anyone have any idea on the best way to get the motorcycle in the truck bed? Or any other suggestions on transporting the motorcycle. One major issue i would like to add is that being my first bike I am not comfortable riding 110 miles on the highway yet. So going with a friend to pick it up isnt an option for me.

Old 04-03-2006, 08:17 PM
Default RE: Motorcycle Transport

I usually rty to find a decent hill and use a 2 by 12 piece of wood. Scary, but it works. I would DEFINATELY get bar straps because when I picked my 600 up the ratchet tie downs scratches the intake duct covers.

Tony

Old 04-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I must say very wise of you to know that you aren't ready for a long ride. Too many people won't admit that they have limits and suffer the consequences.

The bike trailer is really the ideal way to go. If you have a buddy that has a vehicle with a hitch then that'd be the way I'd go. Or bite the bullet and get a hitch for your car. Think of it as an investment -- you may want to haul somewhere else in the future.

If you go the truck route, there are bike ramps but they are kinda scary. Safest way to load is 3 strong guys pick it up. 4 is even better.

Old 04-03-2006, 10:55 PM

Shoot I had to lift my F3 into the back of a F-250 and it was just me and one other guy, we both lifted the front and he hopped in the bed w/ the front wheel and held the front brake. Then I grabbed the two chain tensioner bolts that stick about an inch or so, off the end of both swing arms EACH ONLY WITH MY INDEX AND MIDDLE FINGER. and squatted the bike up into the truck. I can for sure say that I do not recommend doing this unless you absolutely have to! I was sh!tting gold bricks!! I thought it was going to tip or fall on me or something, all I am saying is it is possible. Just thought I would share the tid-bit...go with the trailer or use a ramp to get it into the back of the truck. Whatever you decide good luck getting the new beast home and safe riding!

-Loomis

Old 04-04-2006, 12:27 AM

i pull up to a hill and use a board to put it in the back of my truck, when i strap it down, i use one ratchet strat around each fork to keep it upright, and one in the back i wrap around the swingarm and hook it to each side of my truck

Old 04-04-2006, 12:40 AM
Retired Mod

trailer is definately better than a truck bed. the height is lower and motorcycle trailers usually have wheel chocks and/or tire rails. plus many more areas for tie-downs. plus do the math. renting a truck is about 80 dollars more than renting the trailer. thats more than half the price of the hitch and if you should need the hitch ever again, it would pay for itself over renting a tuck twice. go for the trailer.

edit: also, figure in the gas milage. i drive a full size truck and it gets about 15 mpg, without hauling or pulling anything, and i'm sure that whatever car you have gets better mpg than that. that makes the hitch even more affordable.

Old 04-04-2006, 12:53 AM

I personally use a trailer. but a truck will work just fine. try to get the lowest truck possible for easier loading. i use four tie downs two on the passenger foot peg area and so you dont hurt your ferrings i go up under them on the tripple tree but not the top one the bottom you will see when you look. for loading a 2' by 12' works and dont forget help dropping your brand new bike would turn a glorious day real bad real quick. i hope i helped. good luck

Old 04-04-2006, 01:21 AM

if you're using ratchet tie downs, make sure you compress the forks and lock the fork. Meaning after you got it tightly strapped down, have someone push down on the front suspension while you tighten even more. This would be the most secure way. Where do you live?? maybe a fellow member wouldn't mind taking the ride with you and drive the bike back. Assuming you trust them on it. Why not get a uhual truck that has the ramp that goes into the cabin?? that way you can jsut ride into the back and just tie it down. I think those are $19.95 and whatever how much per mile. That seems like a good idea to me also...

Old 04-04-2006, 02:48 AM

be careful of riding the bike into the back of any box style truck. When you ride it up to the top of the ramp where it meets the flat part of the truck your weight on the bike can cause the header area by where the lower farings meet to crack. just some food for thought...it happned to one of my buddies so just be careful.

-Loomis

Old 04-04-2006, 07:46 AM

I own a pickup for this purpose, it is higher than a trailer but easily managable with a little help from a friend. I use mine as transport to and from trackdays.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Transport