General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle "eats" batteries

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 05:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think my battery is being overcharged though, because the multimeter stayed between 13-14v when I revved it up. So I wouldn't have to replace the stator, right?
Did the voltage drop when you revved it up? if it dropped, the stator may not be ok. But its hard to say right now, because if the voltage is dropping, it could aslo be from your known bad rectifier. There is an ohms resistance check for the stator, and its pretty quick and easy to do. just unplug it and measure across the leads at the plug. If it checks out ok, it should be fine.

I would replace the rectifier, and have the battery retested, as the retifier could have damaged it again. Once those are replaced,and or checked ok, retest the voltage at the battery and see the voltage is in the 14's. It should not drop as you rev the engine.

Also, did you measure the bike with it fully warmed up?

Old 09-21-2010, 04:00 PM

I did the test again with the bike warmed up and it failed the test! At idle it was at 13.51-13.57v, @ 2000rpm it jumped to ~17v, and @ 5000rpm it jumped to 18v.

I also checked the resistance at the stator connector and there was no reading (no change), but when I unplugged the rectifier the resistance at the stator connecter was 0.4 ohms. I don't know if this change in resistance points to anything?

Old 09-21-2010, 04:25 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryanfz
I did the test again with the bike warmed up and it failed the test! At idle it was at 13.51-13.57v, @ 2000rpm it jumped to ~17v, and @ 5000rpm it jumped to 18v.

I also checked the resistance at the stator connector and there was no reading (no change), but when I unplugged the rectifier the resistance at the stator connecter was 0.4 ohms. I don't know if this change in resistance points to anything?
OK your rectifier is BAD. Stop starting or running your bike. All you are doing is making things worse. If your stator isn't bad it soon will be. Also 17v is over chargeing your battery, which in turn shorten the life of the battery.

0.4 ohms
Depends on what setting you had it on .4 ohms is still a short.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:33 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To test a diode you put the leads on, notice the reading. Then swap the leds and notice the reading. There should be a 10X difference, but not exact.

If your multimeter has the diode checker then select that position. Put your leds on. Then again swap the leds, My multimeter beeps when it is short (good one way). It should beep one way and not the other. Hope this helps

Always been a hands on kinda guy, easier for me to show you then tell you how to do it. Sorry.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Indiana Hurricane
Depends on what setting you had it on .4 ohms is still a short.
The multimeter was set at "200 ohms."

Thanks for reply!

Old 09-23-2010, 10:18 AM

I plugged in the new rectifer/regulator and it's no longer overcharging! I did the test again. @ 2000 rpm it was ~14v, but it dropped down to ~13.5 v @ 5000rpm. As long as it stays above 12v, its fine right?

Old 09-23-2010, 10:26 AM

I plugged in the new rectifer/regulator and it's no longer overcharging! I did the test again. @ 2000 rpm it was ~14v, but it dropped down to ~13.5 v @ 5000rpm. As long as it stays above 12v, its fine right?
You're good to go.

However pay close attention to your stator, I'm betting that you're stator will be on it's way out shortly.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:19 PM

Im trying to understand the charging system... So the stator is part of the alternator, which produces AC. AC is sent to the rectifer where AC is converted to DC. The DC gets sent to the Battery to recharge it (the regulator "regulates" the voltage being sent to the battery). The battery supplies current to the wiring harness. Is this right?

Also, can someone explain why a bad rectifier/regulator would cause the stator to go bad?

Thanks.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:59 PM

Im trying to understand the charging system... So the stator is part of the alternator, which produces AC. AC is sent to the rectifer where AC is converted to DC. The DC gets sent to the Battery to recharge it (the regulator "regulates" the voltage being sent to the battery). The battery supplies current to the wiring harness. Is this right?

Also, can someone explain why a bad rectifier/regulator would cause the stator to go bad?

Thanks.
Your basically correct in your understanding of the charging system, other than the stator being part of the alternator... for lack of a better term, the stator is the alternator.

If your rectifier is bad, it basically makes the stator constantly work at its max output... all the time. The stator can overheat, which can lead to failure. With the rectifier working, the stator only puts out the power it needs to, and then just maintains the battery.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:43 PM

You should be ok, but from working on my 93 VFR (VFR's are known for eating R/R's), IIRC the volts above 2000 rpm should not drop down to @ idle levels. The voltage should be between 14 - 15 volts @ 5000 RPM. My VFR dropped voltage to 13.x volts like that and the stator ended up being bad as well. keep eye on the stator as was mentioned.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle "eats" batteries