General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mixture screws on jetted 1998 CBR600 F3

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 03:46 PM
hk3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mixture screws on jetted 1998 CBR600 F3

Hello all,

A previous owner of my 1998 CBR600 F3 put on a jet kit (142-144-144-142), K&N and aftermarket exhaust.

I don't know any more details than that, because I only found this out when I stripped the carbs.

The pilot screws seem a long way out (2.5 turns), given the factory setting is 1.5 turns.

I've had a look online at the instructions for dynojet's stage 1 (I have no idea what was actually fitted) and they have the pilot screws only backed out 0.5 turns i.e. the opposite way to what mine are.

My feeling is the bike is running rich. The condition of the plugs back that up.

I have a Gunson colortune, and I can screw the pilots all the way in and it still runs, and doesn't even look lean. It is definitely running rich at higher revs (4-6000rpm) using the colortune.

Has anyone run a similar setup and knows what their pilot screws were at?

I'll keep working with trial and error, but it would be good to have a better starting point. Moving from 2.5 turns to 0.5 turns is a fairly drastic change in the lean direction!

Cheers

Last edited by hk3; 02-26-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you going back to stock, or was the settings for a different exhaust, could be the jet needle is on a lower clip making it richer, see here

Attached Thumbnails Mixture screws on jetted 1998 CBR600 F3-jet-needle.jpg  
Old 02-27-2018, 02:35 AM
hk3

Thanks for the reply (again!).
I'm not going back to stock as I can't justify the expense on replacement jets etc right now. I just feel the mixture is right out of whack at the lower to lower-mid range.
Needles are on 2nd clip, but it feels right in the mid range so I'll be leaving them be.
I'm just confused as to why the pilot screws have been adjusted in the opposite direction to what I would imagine they need i.e. after jetting they have been opened more, not closed.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator

Just wondering, did PO return the can back to stock and keep the can that was set-up for the rejetting , as you know an upgraded can will lean out the jetting, would check out again the pilot screw adjustment think it should be closer to 3 turns out to lean the mixture, jets are bigger than what they should be for stock,
Edit re-read the first post see you have the upgraded can on, and if the engine is still running with the screws turned in you will need smaller pilot jets

Last edited by CaBaRet; 02-27-2018 at 03:44 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:52 AM
Super Moderator

Have a look at this on e-bay , I ordered 4x#40 for a cbr400rr got them in 3 weeks ,worked well and cheap
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?...72.m2749.l2658

Old 02-27-2018, 05:51 PM
hk3

Originally Posted by CaBaRet
Just wondering, did PO return the can back to stock and keep the can that was set-up for the rejetting , as you know an upgraded can will lean out the jetting, would check out again the pilot screw adjustment think it should be closer to 3 turns out to lean the mixture, jets are bigger than what they should be for stock,
Edit re-read the first post see you have the upgraded can on, and if the engine is still running with the screws turned in you will need smaller pilot jets
Thanks once again for the reply.
I've done some playing around today and 1.75 turns seems to be the sweet spot, although I won't know until I've pulled the plugs after riding it for a bit.
Thanks for the link too - ideally, I want to put the bike back to stock and if I can get all the jets at that sort of money it shouldn't break the bank
Just for my confirmation... when you say "3 turns out to lean the mixture", doesn't turning the pilot screws out enrich (not lean) the mixture?

Old 02-27-2018, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hk3
Just for my confirmation... when you say "3 turns out to lean the mixture", doesn't turning the pilot screws out enrich (not lean) the mixture?
Correct matey, what I meant to say was 3 turns out for stock can, as the upgrade can already leans it out, and those jets work a treat (they have even got the Kehin stamp on them)

Old 02-28-2018, 02:18 AM
hk3

Originally Posted by CaBaRet
Correct matey, what I meant to say was 3 turns out for stock can, as the upgrade can already leans it out, and those jets work a treat (they have even got the Kehin stamp on them)
Brilliant, that makes sense. Thank you

Old 03-07-2018, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by hk3
Hello all,

A previous owner of my 1998 CBR600 F3 put on a jet kit (142-144-144-142), K&N and aftermarket exhaust.
That seems a little much. We have pretty much the same setup and my dynojet kit called for I pretty sure was 140s on outside and 138s on inside. I could have that backwards but my bike was already jetted all it’s missing is the 140s cause the person before me didn’t have K&N filter on it so as I put one on I rejetted. It also called for the e clip on the needle 4 spots down. The pilot screws I back out 1.5 as .5 is not enough. But I pretty much have a whole kit for a 95 F3 minus the 140 plus two more 138s. If you want it I’ll sell it to ya for 50 bucks plus shipping if you think that is fair or shoot me a offer. Hope this helps

Last edited by HAndHEldJEsuS; 03-07-2018 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Messed up and out a quote from different post in the replay
Old 03-07-2018, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by HAndHEldJEsuS

That seems a little much. We have pretty much the same setup and my dynojet kit called for I pretty sure was 140s on outside and 138s on inside. I could have that backwards but my bike was already jetted all it’s missing is the 140s cause the person before me didn’t have K&N filter on it so as I put one on I rejetted. It also called for the e clip on the needle 4 spots down. The pilot screws I back out 1.5 as .5 is not enough. But I pretty much have a whole kit for a 95 F3 minus the 140 plus two more 138s. If you want it I’ll sell it to ya for 50 bucks plus shipping if you think that is fair or shoot me a offer. Hope this helps
I’m sorry I had this bass ackwards. It’s 138s on outside two and 140s on inside!! And The kit has two sets of 136s and no 138s all the other parts are there!! jus let me know if your interested, If not no worries I jus hate for it to sit there was gonna post it on here eventually but hadn’t got around to it!! Hope you get it worked out

Quick Reply: Mixture screws on jetted 1998 CBR600 F3