General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowsided going 80. Bike needs some work now

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowsided going 80. Bike needs some work now

Well i knew it would happen eventually. But the other day I was going a local canyon and lowsided on some gravel and dirt as i was going thru a turn. the bike somehow got wrapped around a pole. it bent the crap out of the tank and cracked the entire airbox. so now my question is what all motor wise do i need to pull off and clean out to make sure no rocks or any other little particles got past the throttle bodies?

Old 06-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Default RE: Lowsided going 80. Bike needs some work now

OUCH!...happy that wasn't your jaw stuck to the pole...that sucks man...even though you cracked the airbox...i doubt anything too bad got in there...just rip it apart and clean it...don't touch the throttle(running or off) until you stick a shop vac down the velocity stacks...they stay pretty much closed and most likely would catch any rocks on the throttle body plate

Old 06-29-2008, 03:19 PM

the throttle plates opened up though and i know some rocks got down in there im not sure how big they are but id ont want to mess anything up internaly

Old 06-29-2008, 04:54 PM

damn...you probably have some teardown time in your future then to be completely sure...

Old 06-29-2008, 05:10 PM

Ya. If they stayed open I would definately tear it all down and make sure everything is spotless before starting it back up. Glad to see your ok. That definately could of been a lot worse.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:11 PM

well i pulled the throttle bodies off and there a few pebbles sitting on top of the valves. they are very small like the size of a very small crumb, any suggestions on how to get these out? i tried a small hand vac but that didnt help any im thinking im gonna need a shop vac at least.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:24 PM

wow... make sure you check the frame.. cuz there is no point in doing any work on the thing if its messed up! Good thing your ok!

Old 06-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Banned

HOLY ****!!!

That's freaking insane bro, you're damn lucky to be alive after that one! Don't have any advice for ya though, sorry.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:44 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

If only the size of a crumb i wouldnt worry too much, odds are they will get into the piston and burn up before they could do any damage. If they are in the exhaust valve then they will just get shot out of the motor or again burnt up. Run it for a bit and do a oil and filter change incase something got thru somehow.

Just want to state this is just my opinion however, and if you dont feel safe about it, the proper thing to do would be the full tear down.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:07 AM

thanks for advice guys and im pretty lucky. i was wearing my helmet and leather jacket make sure you guys do the same. all i got was a gash in my shin that needed a few stiches. i made out pretty well.

Quick Reply: Lowsided going 80. Bike needs some work now