General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering F4i with link?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering F4i with link?

Anyone know how to install a lowering link to the rear shock or to lower the rear end?

Cheers guys.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:44 PM

What type of link is it? Is it an adjustable one or a predrilled multi-position one?

Usually, its just a matter of removing your two factory links and installing the two lowering links. they will usually have a factory height hole, and two others, usually a 1-1/2" and a 3" drop hole.

Just be ready to either suspend the rear sub frame or have a few buddies over to hold the rear of the bike up. As soon as you take the bolt out of links, the rear of the bike will slam down on the rear tire.

also, you may want to consider dropping the front as well. that is usually done by simply loosening up the triple clamp and allowing the forks to slide up further. About 3/4" is all you want to lower the front. Any more than that and you will run into bottoming out issues.

And do some research as the bike won't handle the same. But I'm sure your doing it for a reason other than just looks. Just lower it the least amount to be comfortable. Try to get away with only 1/-1/2 drop in the rear and 3/4 in the front. And, if your an aggressive rider, I wouldn't lower it all.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:50 PM

find a way to suspend the subframe, using a hoist or something similar. This is to take the load off the shock. Locate your rear shock and unbolt the lower mounting nut on the shock, along with the other two nuts on the link plate. Remove link plates and install new ones. I bolted the dogbone on the bottom first, then the middle bolt to the swingarm, then the lower bolt on the shock. Torque to 33 lb-ft. I didn't use a hoist. I had my bike on the kickstand and used my shoulder to lift the tail. Not a smart way to do it because you put a lot of stress on the tail fairing and you can tip your bike. This is a very quick and easy procedure IF you have the right tools.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Playing devil's advocate... Is it really necessary for you to lower your bike?

While I'm not against lowering it if really need-be, just consider the change in the handling characteristics of your bike b/f you do it. (justasquid has good advice for you above)

I know a girl who's 5'5" that has a stock GSXR600. Instead of installing a lowering-link, she had an extra thick sole added to her riding boots...works like a charm. Just an option. Good luck in your choices.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:28 PM

Well guys, I'm 5'3 and weigh 110 lbs and Its a big bike (even though its only a 600) to me and Im not totally comfortable with it at its current height. And justasquid, I'm not an aggressive rider at all, totally the opposite, and I would just like to feel comfortable on this bike. A smaller bike wasn't an option as I love these CBRs to bits and a cruiser ... don't even mention them, I'm 18 not 80 :P.

Thanks to the input guys. And again to justasquid, this is what the lowering kit looks like Hyperpro Lowering Kit - Honda CBR 600 F / F Sport 99-04 - Motorcycle Accessories - Free UK Delivery
Or there is this one
CBR600F4/1 99-06 Keiti Lowering Kit 1 or 3 inch - Suitable for Honda CBR 600 (F) CBR 600 (RR) CBR 600 (RR) CBR 1000 (Fireblade) Kawasaki EX 250 (Ninja) ZX 600 (ZX6R) ZX 600 (ZX6R) ZX 636 (ZX6R) ZX 636 (ZX6R) ZX 636 (ZX6R) ZX 900 (ZX9R) ZX 900 (ZX9R)

Which one is better/more suited and will work the best for what I need it?
I know you guys are probably shaking your head but I'm only 18 and I've been saving since I found out I was so into bikes and I really don't want my £4000 pride and joy laying on my leg.... I'm sure you all understand

Thanks again guys.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by woodypk
Well guys, I'm 5'3 and weigh 110 lbs and Its a big bike (even though its only a 600) to me and Im not totally comfortable with it at its current height. ...

I know you guys are probably shaking your head but I'm only 18 and I've been saving since I found out I was so into bikes and I really don't want my £4000 pride and joy laying on my leg.... I'm sure you all understand

Thanks again guys.
For 5'3", I absolutely understand your situation. You have a viable need.

You seem very responsible. W/ proper lowering, you'll be fine.

Hope all goes well w/ your install.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have the right idea on lowering the rear, but I suggest only lowering it the minimum amount to get your feet touching the ground. Then you need to lower the front the same amount to help keep geometry semi proportional. It will still be off tho, finding a knowledgeable suspension guy u could buddy up to would be perfect. The idea way to lower the forks is to have them cut and respring'd n valved. Raising the forks in the triples will get the job done but changes the handling characteristics of the bike. A good suspension guy can sort it out so it handles good still. Most of the ppl that claim they did it n it handled just as good as stock simply dont know wtf they are talking about OR are just bike night leaners (IE dont ride for shyt).
Originally Posted by woodypk
Well guys, I'm 5'3 and weigh 110 lbs and Its a big bike (even though its only a 600) to me and Im not totally comfortable with it at its current height. And justasquid, I'm not an aggressive rider at all, totally the opposite, and I would just like to feel comfortable on this bike. A smaller bike wasn't an option as I love these CBRs to bits and a cruiser ... don't even mention them, I'm 18 not 80 :P.

Thanks to the input guys. And again to justasquid, this is what the lowering kit looks like Hyperpro Lowering Kit - Honda CBR 600 F / F Sport 99-04 - Motorcycle Accessories - Free UK Delivery
Or there is this one
CBR600F4/1 99-06 Keiti Lowering Kit 1 or 3 inch - Suitable for Honda CBR 600 (F) CBR 600 (RR) CBR 600 (RR) CBR 1000 (Fireblade) Kawasaki EX 250 (Ninja) ZX 600 (ZX6R) ZX 600 (ZX6R) ZX 636 (ZX6R) ZX 636 (ZX6R) ZX 636 (ZX6R) ZX 900 (ZX9R) ZX 900 (ZX9R)

Which one is better/more suited and will work the best for what I need it?

Thanks again guys.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:58 PM

I don't think anyone is shaking their head at you. The only time I shake my head is when I see a 6"2" guy riding a bike that has been lowered so much, its dragging. As others have said, you have a need for it.

I would probably suggest the first one you posted. It will lower it just about an inch and half. At 5'3", you'll need the extra. I think the second one with a 3 inch drop is too drastic for an everyday bike.

I just realized your not going to be measuring with sae, but metric right? so, get the 44mm link. then lower your front 19mm. Ideally, you wan't to lower the front as much as the rear, but I really wouldn't advise anymore than 19mm in the front. If your not aggressive, you will be fine. I lowered both of my wifes bikes and she did great. But as already said, and it really can't be said enough, the handling will be thrown off.

The other thing to consider is some companies do offer a infinte adjustable link from 1-4 inch drop. If you get one of those, you can fine tune the drop to exactly where you want it. But again, don't go more than 1.5 inches. Or, a range of 25.4mm to 101mm. and keep it less than 40mm drop if you can.

heres an ebay link to the one I would suggest getting:
CBR 600 F4i 2001-2006 Threaded Lowering Link Links Kit - eBay (item 160435220110 end time Apr-10-11 22:09:16 PDT)

Last edited by justasquid; 03-26-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:24 AM

Again guys, Thanks for the replies.

Justasquid, that looks like a good option. So could you just run me through how to lower the front forks into the tubes slightly. I only weight 110 lbs so the fork travel is hardly anything, mostly only the bikes own weight. (and the year of my CBR didn't provide adjustable forks :/ so I cant change any preload adjustments or anything like that).

Cheers guys.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:27 PM

Loosen the bolts on the bottom of the triple tree, then SLOWLY loosen the bolts on the top of the triple tree by the clip ons. Start with one side first. As you loosen the top bolt, the fork will begin to come up through the t tree(bike lowering). Tighten the bolt, do the other side and tighten bolts on the bottom of the tree.

Quick Reply: Lowering F4i with link?