General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowering 2002 f4i in the rear 3 -4 inches

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering 2002 f4i in the rear 3 -4 inches

ive got an issue with my sis bike. gota lower the bike bout 3 to 4 inches. gota link fr om soupsyperformance that lets u lower the rear 4 inches. put the link on and becuase the way the shock sits it can only got one inch. she sat on the bike and needs to go at least 3 more inches. what are my options? she is jus 5'0 tall. a friend of mines has da same bike but when he first bought it was somehow slammed to the ground so he raised it up. i didnt see the bike when it was that low "supposbly" tryin figure out what we can do to lower the bike 3 more inches. would changing the swingarm out work or what? any help would be helpful...thanx in advance.....

Old 07-26-2010, 12:29 AM

lower the front end to? maybe u can try differnt brands to

Old 07-26-2010, 12:33 AM

its lowered in the front too match the rear and cut the kickstand, the front can go considerably lower but the issue is the rear...i posted pics of it on a different thread, i accidently put this thread in two places

Old 07-26-2010, 12:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Prolly had the rear shock cut.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rather than further screwing with the bike's handling, she'd be better off buying something that will fit her. IME GSXR 600s are a bit shorter and something like a cb500 is shorter still.

I'd much rather my gf/sister/close friend be riding something that hadn't had it's suspension and handling butchered by an amateur.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like Justasquid said in your other thread, I would shave the seat before you drop it that far. Also, I've never heard of the shock causing problems in lowering it past an inch so I'd be inclined to think you may be doing it wrong.

And like I said in your other thread, you should do front and rear equally if you're dropping the rear. (this essentially preserves the stock geometry, thought you'll still run into issues with dragging pegs and such)

Last edited by chuckbear; 07-26-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:15 PM

I hope she doesnt plan on railing any twisties as she will scrub hard parts n fairings WAY b4 a a correct height bike would.

I say get her a 250 or something thats built more to her size. You are completely ruining a bike to fit a rider IMHO.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:09 PM

I will agree with the 250 thing... not because of the ruining a bike (lowering front and rear actually preserves a bikes stock suspension geometry except for the higher risk of draggin parts) but because a 600 can get away from a noob very quickly.

I wouldn't be sticking my sister on a super sport with zero riding experience. No chance in hell.

On top of that, she's probably going to drop it at some point and you're losing a lot more value in that situation with the f4i than a 250.

Just my opinion.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by chuckbear
I will agree with the 250 thing... not because of the ruining a bike (lowering front and rear actually preserves a bikes stock suspension geometry except for the higher risk of draggin parts) but because a 600 can get away from a noob very quickly.

I wouldn't be sticking my sister on a super sport with zero riding experience. No chance in hell.

On top of that, she's probably going to drop it at some point and you're losing a lot more value in that situation with the f4i than a 250.

Just my opinion.
actually thats incorrect, the more you slide the fork tubes up in the triples the shorter the wheel base gets. If it was just a 1 - 2" drop it wouldnt be as bad, but slamming one 4" is ridiculous and it would have lil to no wheel travel left, which really could upset the bike if a big bump or pot hole was hit. Other than that I agree with you 100%. My wife is 5' even and theres no way in hell I would turn her loose on my bike. Its simply too big for her, not only cc wise, but physically as well. She has to literally lay on the tank to reach the grips n cant even tip-toe it even when its tied down to the trailer.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
actually thats incorrect, the more you slide the fork tubes up in the triples the shorter the wheel base gets. If it was just a 1 - 2" drop it wouldnt be as bad, but slamming one 4" is ridiculous and it would have lil to no wheel travel left, which really could upset the bike if a big bump or pot hole was hit. Other than that I agree with you 100%. My wife is 5' even and theres no way in hell I would turn her loose on my bike. Its simply too big for her, not only cc wise, but physically as well. She has to literally lay on the tank to reach the grips n cant even tip-toe it even when its tied down to the trailer.
Haha now that I've got a 636 I forgot having to consider losing travel for non-inverted forks. I wasn't really considering that as bikes with inverted forks don't have that issue. 1-2" maybe, 3" or 4"... no way.

Even still, losing a bit of wheelbase is actually going to increase turn-in and flickability on a bike and not hurt the handling for the great majority of riders. If it helps someone's confidence it's certainly a good thing. That said, I'm all for trying every possible thing before lowering a bike. Lowered (and stretched bikes) make me sad.

We're in 100% agreement on the size/power. Putting an undersized noob rider on a SS 600 is reckless. Too much bike in several ways.

Quick Reply: lowering 2002 f4i in the rear 3 -4 inches