General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowering 2002 f4i in the rear

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering 2002 f4i in the rear

anybody kno how or what i can do to lower an 2002 f4i in the rear bout 3 to 4 inches? the link we got says is can go four inches but the spring is different than on any other bike. what are my options of gettin it lowered for my sis. she stands 5'0 tall

Old 07-23-2010, 05:21 PM

A 3 inch drop is the most I've seen. I wouldn't suggest anything lower than 2 inches, and 4 inches would render the rear suspension useless.

something to consider, is to remove foam from the seat. Im not sure how much foam is on the F4i, but my wifes old 636 had a lot. I was able to remove almost 2 inches, and she still had an inch of foam left over. Also, you can reshape the foam to allow her legs to not be spread so far apart, which will make it easier to touch the ground. My wife is 5'3", and we lowered her bike 1.5 inches, plus the 2 inches from the seat. After that, she was able to flat foot the bike, plus have some bend in her legs. I would imagine, the 3 inch drop and seat foam removal would be more than enough. I really wouldn't go 4 inches of drop..

Old 07-24-2010, 12:12 PM

i think 3 would work also. question is how do u get it to lower the 3 inches? the shock is the problem cuz the way it connects

Old 07-24-2010, 12:43 PM

Im not sure what you mean by the shock being the problem. the shock should have nothing to do with the links, as they do not connect to each other. Have any pics?

There are two links that run along side of the pivot arm that the shock is connected to. The links change the distance to the pivot arm, which is what reduces the amount of lift the swing arm has. Basically, your holding your swing arm at a different location within its arc of motion.

Is there a possibility you have the wrong links? I think they are year specific and certain years won't work with some models.

Sorry for the vague answer. Im really not sure what the problem your having is. As I said, if you could post up pics, or a more detailed description of your problem, maybe I, or other memebers will be able to point you in the right direction.

oh, don't forget about having to shorten the kickstand.

Last edited by justasquid; 07-24-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:12 PM

This is what the link looks like. If you have a chance, you can go to the website where it tells you about more about the link. It says that it will fit the f4i. soupysperformance.com

When I went back to the shop to sit on it and see how much further I had to go, the guy said that the wishbone was the problem that wouldn't allow it to go any lower.

I have attached the actual picture of the part on the bike along with a few others. hopefully it will help with what I am talking about.

We already had the kickstand shortened which you can see in the pic too.

Attached Thumbnails lowering 2002 f4i in the rear-2010-07-22-18.08.27.jpg   lowering 2002 f4i in the rear-2010-07-22-18.08.38.jpg   lowering 2002 f4i in the rear-2010-07-22-18.09.00.jpg  
Old 07-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're lowering the bike (and I'm with Justasquid in saying that you're best to try to shave the seat before going with lowering) you should really be lowering both the front and the rear. Lowering just the rear is going to mess with the geometry of the bike, while moving them both with maintain the trail and rake of the front forks and thus the factory geometry of the suspension.

I realize it is more work and money to do both front and rear, but you're going to get more actual drop out of the bike and you're going to keep the ridability. If you're going to lower the bike (which I think should be an absolute last resort... makes me cringe), do it right.

My

Old 07-26-2010, 12:35 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I applaud you helping get your sis's bike set up for her. I see so many girls on bikes that are not set up for them at all. I've seen one girl have 2" added to the soles of her Sidi boots to help her "flat-foot" on her stock gixxer. Anyway, after you get the bike lowered in the rear, be sure to do a full suspension set-up for her, or have it done. Good luck.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:01 PM

I see from the pics that it looks like the shocks body is going to hit the links if it goes any lower. Is that the issue?

If so, I read on the webiste that modifications are required when going to the lower settings. They are suggesting material removal is required. So, I can only assume that they mean to remove the edges of the shock so it can slide down between the links. Or, they are suggestiong the links themselves need to be ground down. I don't know that I would do either of those though. Depending on the shock, you may or may not be able to grind material away. You certainly do not want to grind into the case of the shock. Without seeing it in person, I can't really suggest what to do. But I do know on some shocks, you can safely remove material without damaging the internals of the shock. But again, I can't suggest what to do here.

But again, If you are getting 1 inch of drop right now, I would remove the seat and have her sit on it. You really won't believe how well she will be able to touch with the seat removed. that should give a good indication of how much the seat foam removal will help her situation.

or, maybe give these links a try. These are the types that I have used in the past on my wifes old R6 and Ninja636. When I used these types of links, I never had to remove any material and they were a straight forward bolt on. If the one you have only works with material removal, I'd probably send it back.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/cbr-F...Q5fAccessories

Old 07-26-2010, 01:24 PM

if anyome can see by the third picture the seat is already (well to me) is thin, compared to mt gsxr 1000. how much can be takin off the seat? if u can see by the first picture the shock and the part it connects to are right on top of the swingarm. i think thats the issue. somehow we need it to get in between the swingarm and sit more upright. my friend said when he first bought his 02 f4i it was slammed to the ground and he raised it up, but i didnt see it and he dont got before pics. i mean how much do u guys shaving the seat really would help. like i said we need about 3 inches. already thinkin of the boots, that will help alil bit as well

gotcbr.....thanx for the love, jus want her to get her bike on the road so she can enjoy the experience of ridin "her" bike and not on the back of others. its a whole different experience as well all kno. i think when she gets on the road, she will be on it more than her car....ill get it right, jus was not expecting this isssue. alot of people ive talked to say the f4i is one of the best starter bikes around.

jusasquid....thanx homie ima see what we can do....look at the first pic will basically show u the problem

Old 07-26-2010, 03:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best way to start figuring out how much you can take off the seat is to take it off and do a little guesstimating. If it's the banana seat (I can never remember which years have the banana) I'd think you can take off quite a bit.

Boots with think soles could add an inch almost?

Who knows, that may get you to 3 inches.

Also, once she gets comfy on the bike it's not going to be important to be able to flat-foot. Getting some practice on starting and stopping and how she can make that work would help a lot.

Quick Reply: lowering 2002 f4i in the rear