General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost my only key.. best option?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 01:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost my only key.. best option?

I'm kickin myself in the *** for this one but I have lost my only key to my cbr. Bought it used last year and it only came with a single key and no key code. Always meant to get a duplicate made but never got around to it. Lost my key a few days ago somewhere at home and cannot find it ANYWHERE. I have turned every room and the garage inside out. No idea where it could have gone. What would be my best option for getting a new one? Can the code be looked up by the VIN? Can a locksmith make a new key without the code?

Old 07-08-2009, 02:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your Honda dealer may be able to use the code off the lock (or VIN). There is a small code sitting on the top of the key barrel, don't know if that's any help, but a good locksmith would certainly know where to look.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:17 AM

If that doesn't work you should be able to purchase an OEM ignition system and just replace the one currently on the bike. I know this will be a pain in the @ss, but at least you will have 2 keys with the new ignition.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:46 AM

Bring your title, or registration to the honda dealership and they can make a key for you. You need to show proof you own the bike. People used to read vins off car's go to the dealership, get keys made and then steal the cars..

Old 07-08-2009, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jribsy
I'm kickin myself in the *** for this one but I have lost my only key to my cbr. Bought it used last year and it only came with a single key and no key code. Always meant to get a duplicate made but never got around to it. Lost my key a few days ago somewhere at home and cannot find it ANYWHERE. I have turned every room and the garage inside out. No idea where it could have gone. What would be my best option for getting a new one? Can the code be looked up by the VIN? Can a locksmith make a new key without the code?

take out the ignition key assembly and bring to locksmith, 100% they can make a key for ur cbr and show ur registration to them so that there's no doubt...

Old 07-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Call dealership - but don't count on them being able to help you. I've asked this question of three dif Honda dealerships w/o luck. They're more than willing to make keys from other keys but not "able" to abracadabra up a key for an ignition w/o another key. This isn't to say that other shops can't/won't, just that the ones I checked "can't".

Take bike/ignition to locksmith, or have locksmith come to you. They can do this...they do it all the time. Some smiths are very careful about checking ownership papers. So, be prepared for that. Last time I checked, they'll make a key for $25. If they come to you, it will be more.

Otherwise, as suggested, get a new/used ignition w/ keys. Oh, or you could just have a screwdriver sticking out...but that'll most likely get you involved in a felony-stop.

Good luck.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:16 PM

Thanks for all the answers. Called Honda and they said they couldn't do anything without the key code. Looks like I'll give a locksmith a call. Anyone know how tough is it to take the ignition out of a 99 CBR? The key is used for the gas tank also, would there be any issue of the new key not opening the tank?

Old 07-09-2009, 10:49 AM

If you can get the bike down there, you won't even have to dismantle it. I used to work in a repo office \ locksmith, and we could make an impression of the interior of the lock, and hand-file a key from it. it was really hard to get right, and we charged an arm and a leg for the service. if your ignition barrel has a code on the top, an enteriprising locksmith might be able to hunt down what you need. Either way, get quotes. I used to charge $150 just to open a deadbolt.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:19 PM

Once again, thank you everyone for the help but today I accidentally found my key which had somehow ended up under the stove. Learned my lesson, heading to get a spare cut right now.

Quick Reply: Lost my only key.. best option?