General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost Key!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lost Key!!

Is there a code on the bike somewhere such as on the ignition cyclinder? I am going to pop out the cyclinder today when I get home so that It can be rekeyed with the gas cap so hopefully I'll find a number on it somewhere and can just get a key made instead of having to change the tumblers in both.

Old 04-15-2006, 09:10 PM

you dont NEED the code. my buddy didnt have his, he just took the tank lock to a locksmith and he made him 3 keys just to be safe.

Its just easier to get the key if you have the code for it.

Also, you wont change the tumblers in them, the locksmith will take a plastic looking key that molds easily and will shove it in the keyhole yo get a mold of it.

Old 04-17-2006, 11:49 PM

Well I was able to get a key made finally. Now my problem is that when they tried it in the fuel cap they found out it was broken. Two little pieces on teh inside had broken off and now the key just turns and turns but doesn't open the cap. Anyone have a spare fuel cap they want to sell? I don't feel like paying $140 from honda and can't really find a cap anywhere else, other then the complete lock set (ignition, cap, helmet lock) on ebay which is still $125. So if you have an extra....even without a key....I'm interested. PM me.

Old 04-18-2006, 12:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked to see how much replacement caps are that don't have a built in lock, like racing cap? If I had to replace my gas cap because the lock was broken that is what I would get. It would drive me nuts having to use one key to start my bike and one key to unlock the fuel cap. The only reason I can think of that all the dealers put locks on the caps in the first place is so people won't be able to let their engine while refueling. It's not like someone is going to risk siphoning 3.8 gallons of gas from you.

Old 04-18-2006, 12:54 AM

The only thing about those caps with no locks is people can put stuff in your gas tank. Happened to a buddy of mine.

Old 04-18-2006, 01:20 PM

The last owner for my bike had broke his only key so he went to the local honda shop to make a new one. Long story short, the guy just gave him the master key to all 1999 hondas. I feel like being evil ...

Old 04-18-2006, 01:48 PM

Not worried about the gas being siphoned but DThompson makes a good point with stuff being put into the tank. If I do have to buy another new cap I'm going to get the pro tek keyless setup to go along with my pro tek sliders. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:36 PM

anyone know if the key code is three digits... like 6vl ?

Old 04-21-2006, 12:01 AM

The key code is 3 digits. I ended up talking to a bunch of dealers and locksmiths around here and we got it figured out. If you pull out the two bolts that hold the ignition cyclinder in and slide it out you will find a code on the back of it. The last 3 digits of that code are your key code. The first letter is the blank style and the last 2 are the key code. This can also be found on the underside of the gas cap and most likely near the helmet lock somewhere.

Old 04-21-2006, 12:28 AM

yeah... i pulled the helmet lock out and theres the three digits...hopefully thats the one, cuz the ignition bolts just wont budge.

Quick Reply: Lost Key!!