General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Little story about diagnosing a problem with any machine not just a bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little story about diagnosing a problem with any machine not just a bike

I was riding along and my cbr 600 just bogged down and died on me yesterday. I thought to myself call my friend up who is an H-vac , he'll bring some tools and we'll sort this out real quick(he lived two blocks away) . I didnt listen to myself and jumped to conclusions ,thought the worst called for a tow and payed the 80 bucks . I calmed down a day later and looked into what the heck happened. When I had last had my bike apart I had left the positive battery cable finger tight and over the past 500 or 700 miles it worked itself loose and ran down the battery. If had listened to what I had read in the chassis manual where it says always start with the obvious when your bike has a problem I could've saved some money,time,and aggravation. Could've hand tightened it possibly , pushed started it and limped home. I think this goes for any machine car , truck , whatever. If your bike dont start , check to see if your ignition is turned on , etc,haha. Have a good one out there.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:06 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very true.... and it happens a good bit actually.
Always make sure you have fuel in it, too.... hehe!

Old 08-23-2010, 02:20 PM

yeah its definately easy to get nervous, frustrated, pissed etc... and overlook a real simple problem like not turning on the gas valve or a loose battery connection. but it sure does suck when u keep your cool only to find out ur fuel pump contacts **** the bed and your 100 miles from home :-(.

but thats what friends with trailers are for haha

Old 08-23-2010, 03:39 PM

The technical term for what you describe is the "KISS" principle. It stands for Keep It Simple, Stupid, and is one of the first trouble shooting theories I learned in avionics training in the Navy. (helps to prevent these )

Old 08-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL- I ran mine out of gas twice. On the same day.

On the way to work - forgot to turn the petcock on. Took me a couple of minutes roadside to realize what I had done. During that process I looked int he tank and saw fuel sloshing around. So in my mind, I now knew "I have gas in the tank."

Later that day, going for lunch, I run out of gas again (4 miles from where I ran out that morning). I'm like "What now? I have gas in the tank and the petcock is on this time"

5 minutes later, totally frustrated, I open the tank (that I knew had gas in it from the morning) and still see gas in there. At the bottom. Almost at the very bottom. Maybe 1/2" total in the tank.

/FACEPALM

Switch to reserve, crank it up and go to the gas pump.