Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Bike Biography: What's your story?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Biography: What's your story?

So I think there should be a thread about our bikes, go figure. Whats your story? How'd you get it? What got you started in motorcycling? What makes your motorcycle yours and how did it get to where it is today? Give us your BIKE BIOGRAPHY.

I'll start it off...

I bought my bike in December of 2006. My previous bikes were an 1982 Kawasaki 440LTD, followed by a '95 Ninja 500. I found it on a local bulletin board. It had a smashed gas tank, a replacement upper fairing spraypainted black, and it didn't run. It was in a barn with the tank and some of the plastics off of it. Also, the speedo was broke.
This is what it looked like when I got it:

Took me a little while to figure out why it didn't want to start. It only had 3 spark plugs in it! Anyway, since I've had it I put fork seals in and I just installed the FactoryPro shift kit. I had the gas tank fixed and painted at a local body shop and the upper fairing painted white. Needed tires too. Later I added the custom seat cover and a custom LED message brake light ( http://media.putfile.com/102-2511 ).

The kid I bought it from told me he was going to fix it up and ride it again, but while he was in Madison, WI (he said his grandma got stabbed, so he visited her in the hospital and then went to a bike dealership) he bought a 1000cc gsxr. Me and a buddy borrowed his dads truck to go pick it up. But first we had to pick up the 86 fzr he bought for 500 bucks. So we both got new to us bikes that night, it was quite exciting.
I bought it for $1500, after talking the guy down from $1900. I sold my ninja 500 to a friend of mine for $1200 to fund the purchase of the CBR. Sometimes I think about how when I get some more money I'd like to buy a newer cbr, but honestly, I just love this F2. I just love the look and the color scheme. I don't think I ever want to sell it. It's not perfect and in some spots its not exactly pretty, but its mine, and its all I need.
As it sits, here's what it looks like.

So, whats your story?

Old 04-15-2008, 08:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Bike Biography: What's your story?

oh hell i could type ALOT here, Elmer. i have to wake up at 3:30 am for work and its 9:30. im hitting the hay and i'll return tomorrow to type my '01 F4i's biography and how it became mine.

nice bike, by the way!

Old 04-15-2008, 09:24 PM

^^ Your not offline yet and its 10:30 ........

Old 04-15-2008, 09:53 PM

I love going fast, and anything that will get me there, its my ecstasy. I think the first sport bike I ever noticed was the late 90s gixxers, I love those things, I thought they looked so nasty. (I didnt begin appreciating cruisers until after I got my cbr). I never had the opportunity to get a bike until I was old enough to emancipate myself, as my dad is afraid of his own shadow, and my mother fell off her brothers bike when she was young, so she was pretty adverse to it. I decided that I was going to have one in about january of my senior year in college. This was a little less then a month after I got back from a semester in europe. It was there that I saw how many people daily drove motorcycles, and that was the final push. Shortly after I made that decision, my best friend, who is a pit mechanic for nascar, calls me and is like hey want to get a bike? I am like hell yes, that was that. We started looking at zx6r's, cause we knew that they were the most aggressive, and being young and stupid, practicality is of no factor. We went and looked at them, but after some research, my buddy realized that he couldn't afford one, cause he had a DWI like a year ago, and could not afford even the basic of insurance coverage. He then went and bought a VTX1300. Being a college student with student loans and basically no credit history, no one was really willing to lend me any cake to get a bike. I got upset, took some time off, and just kinda gave up. About a month later I was poking around and saw the new cbrs on 'sale' at one of the local dealers. I went down there, filled out the form, and poof, I had enough. Turns out I got approved for liek 8500, but when I filled out that honda form I was looking at 06 1000's, so my 8500 did not cut it at all, but a month later, with some money in the bank and some credit, I was good to go. I picked it up three days later . I actually wanted the white, but when I got there, no special was on the white, because all the girlies wanted the white one. I said screw it, I could paint it for less, and got the blue, best choice I ever made. I had it for three days, and road it through a bush. That is another story in and of itself. I didnt like it stock, because I think they all look the same, so I did it up the way it is now. I left the slight rash on the bike though, did not replace the fairing, because I think its bad luck... If its too shiney, something bad will happen, or so I think. Thats my story.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:02 PM

I've got a long story but can make it short. How I got my 900

Decided to get a bike when my brother destroyed my other and started shopping for one.I found what I thought was a deal of a lifetime but it was 100 miles away [:@]. Oh well, it was a great deal for an oldYZF 750. I pack up and get my truck ready to go pick her up and after a few hours of driving, the store I where I was going to buy the bike, was closed! WTF Middle of the week, no holidays. Turns out they had a death in the family (it was a family bike shop or somethin) So I was bummed, naturally.

About a week later I went to deliver some parts to a local shop around town where I used to work. Mike, the owner asks me, "You know anybody lookin for a clean sport bike for $3500?" (which was the exact amount of money I wanted to spend.) I said "Uhhhh yea I am!" He takes me out back to the gravel lot and pulls the cover off a pristine 93 900RR. After a quick look at the beauty, and knowing the owner personally, I said "Sold, let me go grab my lid"

2 years later she's still pristine and runnin strong.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:25 PM

My first bike that I owned clear and free was a 92 F2. This was when gas prices really started to get stupid in 2000 or so, and was talking to my wife and said I wanted a dedicated bike, mine all mine, hey, cheap insurance, great gas milage and fun to boot. She was cool with it as she is with anything I do, so I started looking around. I originally thought about getting the latest and greatest shiny new bike, but listened to those more experienced and decided on a good used sportbike knowing the ole saying of "there are two kinds of riders" so off shopping..........couldn't find a 600 class bike anywhere! Called up a dealer in Oklahoma about an hour away from me and he said they had 4 or 5 600's from 2K to 6K. I went to the bank and withdrew 8K and headed up. He had a few really nice rides, but for 3K he had a nice F2, it was painted all black, but with some gawdy decals, to mention, "louisianna style" on one fairing and "classic F2" on the other...eeewwww, oh, and the thing was covered in neon lights....umm, yeah, ok, but it was clean, had a chrome swing-arm and rim, as well as other good bits. I said I'll take it, went in, bought full gear, paid cash for everything, loaded it up and brought it home. Next day went out and dumped it. After a quick lesson in fiberglass repair, I fixed it and dropped it off at a local shop and had it sprayed with dupont tripple black, I wet-sanded it three times with clear coats after each time, and after it was all said and done, she sure looked pretty. I of course rid the bike of those awfull decals and put OEM white decals on it, clear coated over them and wet sanded that coat also. Anyway, 5 years and 30K miles later and no accidents, I wanted a new bike, so I put up the F2 on craigs list for 3500 up here in Seattle and sold it in a matter of minutes. Next day went to the local dealer with more cash in hand and came home with my 06 1KRR. In a few days I had flush mounts,frame sliders, spools, puig double bubble,fender eliminator, an Arrow Exaust, PC3, some carbon fiber goodies, heated hand gripsa few HRC decals and so on. I removed a few OEM decals to make it a bit more subtle in appearance, just to my liking. I was gonna keep the F2 and turn it into a street fighter/stunter, but the deal with a new bike was to sell my old one. Still have it and given the choice, I wouldn't trade it straight across for an 08, I just like everything about it. Shes super clean, gets riden rain, shine and even snow. I get comments of approval all the time and absolutely love the bike, but still miss the F2.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gawd, your all so young. In 1968, I got to ride a mates Honda 90 around a football field, only reason he let me was because I gave him the money to fill up the tank with petrol. Anway, having never driven/ridden anything other than a push bike, I stacked it. I was of course by then, hooked & two weeks later bought my 1st bike, a Suzuki A100, quickly followed by a Bridgestone 175 & almost as quickly by a Honda CB250, which I had two spectacular stacks on, two weeks to the day, a part.
I've been a motorcycle courier (three different companies in Sydney) & I've commuted on all my bikes, (except the present one) & have never had a stack since the last big one in 1969 (although I have come bloody close more than once).

So in no particular order, cause I can never quite remember:
Suzuki A100 - Bridgestone 175 - Honda CB250 - Bridgestone GT350 - Suzuki GS? 200 - Suzuki GSX250 - Yamaha piece of crap XS400 - Kawazaki Z650- 2 Yamaha XZ550's -
Kawazaki GPZ 750 - Suzuki GS 650 - Moto Morini 500 SEI - BMW R65 - BMW K100- Moto Guzzi Monza 500 - Moto Guzzi Le Mans 1000 - Suzuki GS500- Honda CX500 - Honda CBR600 (Current bike)

Old 04-15-2008, 11:49 PM

ORIGINAL: pacemaker

Gawd, your all so young. In 1968, I got to ride a mates Honda 90 around a football field, only reason he let me was because I gave him the money to fill up the tank with petrol. Anway, having never driven/ridden anything other than a push bike, I stacked it. I was of course by then, hooked & two weeks later bought my 1st bike, a Suzuki A100, quickly followed by a Bridgestone 175 & almost as quickly by a Honda CB250, which I had two spectacular stacks on, two weeks to the day, a part.
I've been a motorcycle courier (three different companies in Sydney) & I've commuted on all my bikes, (except the present one) & have never had a stack since the last big one in 1969 (although I have come bloody close more than once).

Suzuki A100 - Bridgestone 175 - Honda CB250 - Bridgestone GT350 - Suzuki GS? 200 - Suzuki GSX250 - Yamaha piece of crap XS400 - Kawazaki Z650- 2 Yamaha XZ550's -
Kawazaki GPZ 750 - Suzuki GS 650 - Moto Morini 500 SEI - BMW R65 - BMW K100- Moto Guzzi Monza 500 - Moto Guzzi Le Mans 1000 - Suzuki GS500- Honda CX500 - Honda CBR600 (Current bike)
Is ths term "stacked" synonymous with laid down, crashed, dumped, ate dirt, wiped out, etc.?

Old 04-16-2008, 01:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ta8218

ORIGINAL: pacemaker

Is ths term "stacked" synonymous with laid down, crashed, dumped, ate dirt, wiped out, etc.?
That would be correct

[IMG]local://upfiles/9500/B635F0B84A07419EA9476C950B5FC942.gif[/IMG]

Old 04-16-2008, 02:58 AM

ORIGINAL: D2DGraphix_600RR

^^ Your not offline yet and its 10:30 ........
.........i leave 3 websites up that i check regularly. i dont turn my laptop off, only close it.........which is why i was still online.

Quick Reply: Bike Biography: What's your story?