General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED troubles...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED troubles...

Hey guys! so last night i installed a intergrated LED tail light on my 1999 CBR F4. But for some reason the brake light is extremely un noticable compared to the running light? there is literally no difference in the two. But the kit came with 2 resistors so i figured id try them out, i first tried them on each signal light (my signals are now signaling fast after the LED install, i believe its cause LEDs use way less power so the module just thinks there burnt out and i dont really mind having fast signal lights lol). Then i tried one resistor on the running light power wire and one on the ground for the whole unit, still little to no dierence in braking britness. Finally i am currently running both of the resistors together on the running light power. The difference is so miniscule i dont even think the instructor will let me use my bike when i do my class 6. Can anyone help me out? ive looked around and every single intergrate tail light has identical wiring to this one they are all the same. Im thinking the resistors i got are junk or i need to buy a stonger one! help me out

Old 05-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now, I am by no means an expert, particularly with electronics. However, what those resistors are intended for are to lower the intermittent blinking rate of your turn signals by fooling the system into believing you still have incandescent bulbs installed (it adds resistance) and in my opinion, negating any energy saving benefit the LED provides.

For your signal lights, if you want to reduce the blink rate, I'd suggest replacing the turn signal relay. Real easy procedure and inexpensive (eBay). The relay is located behind the headlight assembly and replacement is a simple plug & play.

As for your running lights being brighter than your brake lights, sounds to me like you have them wired backwards. Either way, the resistors will not remedy that problem.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Incognito
Now, I am by no means an expert, particularly with electronics. However, what those resistors are intended for are to lower the intermittent blinking rate of your turn signals by fooling the system into believing you still have incandescent bulbs installed (it adds resistance) and in my opinion, negating any energy saving benefit the LED provides.

For your signal lights, if you want to reduce the blink rate, I'd suggest replacing the turn signal relay. Real easy procedure and inexpensive (eBay). The relay is located behind the headlight assembly and replacement is a simple plug & play.

As for your running lights being brighter than your brake lights, sounds to me like you have them wired backwards. Either way, the resistors will not remedy that problem.
Yea im not really worried about the signal lights, cause having a brake light is much more important..I also know for a fact that the wiring is correct. but when i put the 2 resisters that i have on the power line for the runing light it did make the brake light more noticable... just very slightly because i think the resisters are ****. I think i just need a better resister cause my running light is exremely bright as is

Old 05-29-2011, 08:21 AM

just for the sake of argument try switching the wires that you have tied into the running light and brake light and see what happens. The resistors are to slow down the turn signals so there isn't going to be any real difference in your brake light using them

Old 05-29-2011, 10:23 AM

However, what those resistors are intended for are to lower the intermittent blinking rate of your turn signals
Theres your answer. Resistors do not get added to anything except the blinkers. the running light and brake light do not get resistors as they do not need them. Take the resistors off your main power wire. They are only intended for the blinkers.

if I had to guess, I'd say you have your running light and brake light wires reversed. That is the only thing that would explain why when you apply your brake nothing happens.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by justasquid
Theres your answer. Resistors do not get added to anything except the blinkers. the running light and brake light do not get resistors as they do not need them. Take the resistors off your main power wire. They are only intended for the blinkers.

if I had to guess, I'd say you have your running light and brake light wires reversed. That is the only thing that would explain why when you apply your brake nothing happens.
Well i put the resistors on my signal lights and nothing happens... im also 100% sure my brake wires are correct.. im stumped?

Old 05-30-2011, 10:35 PM

Well i put the resistors on my signal lights and nothing happens... im also 100% sure my brake wires are correct.. im stumped?
How are you wiring the resistors in? they do not go inline, but one end gets grounded while the other end is spliced into the hot wire. If it were me, I'd just leave them off though. the faster blink rate is much more noticeable in my opinion.

Did you try to swap the brake light and running light to see if it made any difference?

Is it possible you have the running light and the license plate light wired up and do not even have the brake light wired up?

Since there is not a difference. I'd get out a multi-meter or at least a test light to make sure your getting power through the brake wire. Its possible you may have blown a fuse or something while installing it. At least that way, you know for certain which wire is the brake wire and if it is in fact working properly.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:28 AM

Bike: 2002 CBR600F4i

I've got a similar issue and I'm pretty sure I nailed down what the problem is (haven't fixed it yet).

My run light and brake light are too close in brightness to make a difference. I verified the connections (didn't install this item myself) and everything is correct. I even looked at popping open the unit and adding some LED's to the brake portion to make it brighter...not hard...but the way the unit is constructed it would be a major project..so on to something different.

Ended up installing a seperate strip of red LED's to act as a brake light. This strip is ONLY wired to the brakes and should not be on in ANY way unless brakes are on...but it is. Not bright..but at a lower level....so this leads me to believe that my brake wires are receiving residual power from somewhere which in turn causes the LED's in the unit itself to be lighted up to a lower power level all the time even when they shouldn't be.

I took a look at the unit and the way it works is that all LED's are on for both run and brake with just a different power level to indicate braking..with that residual power going through the wires when it shouldn't, it is bumping up the level of brightness at all times. So I hit the brakes and the available brightness difference now isn't enough to be noticable.

Not positive on this and next time I have the rear seat off I will take my volt meter to check this, but since that seperate strip is on all the time, I really do think I'm working in the right direction.

(BTW: that extra strip is great for added visiblity with braking)

Old 05-31-2011, 08:55 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

What brand of lights did you guys buy, just so nobody else gets ripped-off Did you get them on eBay?

Old 05-31-2011, 09:02 AM

Still working on identifying the brand that is in the bike. Was already on there...with my extra lights I'm good to go for safety purposes so I'm not stressing mine too much...I would recommend against getting this unit if my theory about what is going on with mine is incorrect...I do think it is an issue with the bikes wiring though.

Quick Reply: LED troubles...