General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LED problems

I dont get it, I cant get power to the stupid little LED lites I bought to replace my licence plate light. All I did was take the original light out, bought a pack of quick splice connectors and plugged them in the connector. lights should come on no problem! they dont the little bastards!

What I did was cut the OEM light off so I could still use the OEM connectors. I bought a pack of quick connectors and connected both red wires that go to the LEDs and connected them to the green wire. I took the black LED wires and connected them to the black wire. easy enough right? but when I plugged in and turned the bike on, nothing! when I test the OEM light again, that comes on no problem. so I hooked the LEDs back up and nothing again. I dont know, the only thing different is the wire gauge. the stock wires are twice as thick as the LED wires, but according to my Father, this should not make a difference. but Im thinking it has to for some reason. but wiring is not my thing, technician Im not!

Does anyone have any idea whats wrong???

Old 02-12-2009, 12:17 PM

You probably blew the LED's out. Chances are they run on 3v and not 12v. You need to put a resistor inline on the positive side.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lamar Vannoy
You probably blew the LED's out. Chances are they run on 3v and not 12v. You need to put a resistor inline on the positive side.
+1 if you dont know how to calculate the resistance needed by hand there are tools online that can do it for you.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Default LEDs

They are supposed to be 12v lites, and when we hooked them up to a battery box they came on just fine. it just seems that for some reason they are not getting any juice. I take them off and put the OEM light back on and it works, but not the LEDs. I dont know, strange.
I'm thinking about going direct to the battery, but then I getta figure out where I can hook up a on/off switch that I will see so I will remember to shut it off when I'm done. I bought a switch, just getta figure out where the hell to put it.

Thanks Guys!

Old 02-12-2009, 05:00 PM

Do you have the LED's hooked up backwards at the license plate light? Unlike a regular light, you have to make sure the + and - ends match. Wire gauge in this case will make no difference.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Default LEDs

No there hooked up correctly. it just makes no sense, that's for sure!

Old 02-12-2009, 06:23 PM

Well, just duct tape a flashlight in place pointing at the plate. Or just don't ride at night...

I'm not sure what to tell you man. Maybe there's already a resistor in the line for the old ones? That would hold back power to the new ones...good luck.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Default LEDs

Yep, my thoughts exactly. I'll just have to make sure it's not one of those F-N LED flashlites!!

Yeah there might be something tucked up underneith all the other wires, I dont know. why zit all the simple jobs that give you the most grief?

Thanks anyways Dude!