General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Accent Lights- laws?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RoseannaJuares
Keep in mind the spec'd parts you have selected lead to poor efficiency and regulation. What is your cost budget for material, & design validation. It is not trivial to make a reliable product in this mismatched condition. Ideally you want to match the generator (PV) to the storage cell (V) to the load (V). In this case the LED is very nonlinear starts with >> 100 Lumen/watt but after power conversion the system becomes low < 50% efficiency with low simple cost budget. It would help to define volume, schedule, environmental specs. Dont specify the parts without considering the above. Also what is maximum ambient temp and cooling method of mechanical design. Also the battery should be replaced every 3 yrs.
Haha...what^^^?.

Where I live, I've never seen or heard of anyone get pulled over for the LEDs. Like people have said above as long as it's not flashing, especially red or blue flashing, you should be okay. On my last bike I had red LEDs and I rode with them and never had any problems whatsoever. I really think it's up to the discretion of the LEOs. Best of luck to you though.

Last edited by The__Rider; 05-03-2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 05-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I install LED kits on bike weekly here in North Carolina. I install all colors and sometimes mulit colors. I dont know of anyone being bothered by LEO's unless the lights are showing, flashing, and Red or Blue. The law says no blue lights may be visible from the front of the vehicle. No flashing red or blue lights at all. So I make sure anything I install is hidden and I tell people point blank that riding around flashing like a Christmas tree is their own risk. It also seems that the way you conduct yourself and the quality of your ride tend to keep the LEO's at bay. You cannot be cited for something that is possibly a statute. You may be cited for possibly violating a statute. I have been pulled once for lights I politely asked what statute he was reffering too. The officer did not know but I did so I told him and then nicely explained why I was not in violation.