General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Accent Lights- laws?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LED Accent Lights- laws?

Hello there,

So I recently purchased an all black 2002 cbr600f4i. As you can see from my picture the thing is basically all black with no other colors. I want to give it a little bit of an accent, but do not want to add any decals.

I am for sure going to be putting a wheel trim decal on the rims, and am debating setting up some sort of LED accents in a matching color. However, I am not sure what the laws are regarding this.

I am from Wisconsin, and have heard many different things from friends. Some say as long as they are not red or blue its okay, others say there 100% illegal, and others still say there perfectly okay. I have tried looking up the answer but cannot seem to find it.

I was wondering if anyone knows off hand how Wisconsin treats led accent lights on motorcycles, WHILE RIDING?

thanks.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:47 PM

Not sure how likely having another Wisconsin rider that knows this information for sure is.

Your best bet is to...

A. Call the state police and ask them (they have a non emergency number, you can find it online).
B. Call the DMV headquarters for your state, they should know.

It will give you the right answer, and you can be sure of it.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:51 PM

I forgot to add, it may also be worthwhile calling the surrounding states that you travel to, or if going on any long road trips anywhere before you leave call their DMV/State Police as well.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:55 PM

Alrighty thanks for the tip mate

Old 04-22-2012, 07:07 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

347.07 Special restrictions on lamps and the use thereof.

347.07(2)(2) Except as otherwise expressly authorized or required by this chapter, no person shall operate any vehicle or equipment on a highway which has displayed thereon:
347.07(2)(a)(a) Any color of light other than white or amber visible from directly in front; or
347.07(2)(b)(b) Any color of light other than red on the rear; or
347.07(2)(c)(c) Any flashing light.

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/sta...utes/347/II/07

I would take that as you can light up inside the engine but can't have it seen from the front or rear.

In Ontario, Canada it states no blue or red projecting forwards and no intemittent lights anywhere.

I have asked many police officers and most say its illegal but can't reference in my local highway traffic act on where it states that and let me go on my way.
This is what mine looks like as I have them every where but the front:

Name:  100_8066.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  83.4 KB

Last edited by jeffjones; 04-22-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:22 PM

Ok basically they are 100% illegal here in Louisiana... Down here law enforcement have blue lights and fire dept have red lights..that being said blue and red are a tad bit more "illegal" in law enforement's eyes BUT law enforcment dont really mess with bikes that have LED's on. Law enforcement realize it helps the bikers to be seen at night and its not really worth the hassel of pulling them over. Im a LEO and my department hardly ever pulls a biker over for displaying LED's.

I would get in touch with your local law enforcement and ask them but I would be willing to bet the answer is all colors are illegal. Now the next question is how strict are they on enforcing the law. Good luck to you bro!

Old 04-22-2012, 07:24 PM

Jeffjones - That thing looks sweet for sure...blue carries a lot farther and brighter then red..that looks really good!

Old 04-22-2012, 09:41 PM
R.I.P. Jason

I have heard as long as they don't project forward but here in MS they say Gulfport PD likes to get you but the other counties don't bother you. It seems as long as they don't flash/strobe you are okay. Good advice to ask local...
Name:  924d5161.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  18.3 KB

Old 05-01-2012, 10:47 PM

Keep in mind the spec'd parts you have selected lead to poor efficiency and regulation. What is your cost budget for material, & design validation. It is not trivial to make a reliable product in this mismatched condition. Ideally you want to match the generator (PV) to the storage cell (V) to the load (V). In this case the LED is very nonlinear starts with >> 100 Lumen/watt but after power conversion the system becomes low < 50% efficiency with low simple cost budget. It would help to define volume, schedule, environmental specs. Dont specify the parts without considering the above. Also what is maximum ambient temp and cooling method of mechanical design. Also the battery should be replaced every 3 yrs.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:03 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RoseannaJuares
Keep in mind the spec'd parts you have selected lead to poor efficiency and regulation. What is your cost budget for material, & design validation. It is not trivial to make a reliable product in this mismatched condition. Ideally you want to match the generator (PV) to the storage cell (V) to the load (V). In this case the LED is very nonlinear starts with >> 100 Lumen/watt but after power conversion the system becomes low < 50% efficiency with low simple cost budget. It would help to define volume, schedule, environmental specs. Dont specify the parts without considering the above. Also what is maximum ambient temp and cooling method of mechanical design. Also the battery should be replaced every 3 yrs.
Pass the dutchie to the left hand side....

Quick Reply: LED Accent Lights- laws?