General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laid it down... won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laid it down... won't start

Hey guys... I'm sure you get a lot of these... Lol. I was reading through some of the posts and I can't find anything that could relate to why my bike isn't starting...
I ride a 2003 CBR F4i. Pretty well maintained. Saturday night I laid it down at a pretty good pace (55-60 mph). I cannot figure out why it's not starting. I fell into a ditch on the side of the road and the motorcycle was temporarily leaking oil from the pistons.
Well I cleaned up all the oil on the motor, and from the oxygen box, the filter, everything. The only thing I can even think it would be is the spark plugs. But I want to get an opinion before I start tearing it apart again.
The bike won't roll start, won't jump start or anything. It clicks once and than just won't go. When I try to bump start it the rear tire just locks up. The motor doesn't go at all. Mmm... kind of irritating? I can't for the life of me figure out what it could be. I've been told it's possible I have hydraulic lock, which I have no idea how to fix or the price of the repair. However all fuses are ok, wiring functions, the bike primes and everything. Just it won't turn over. The starter won't even try to start.
I've also been told it could be oil leaked onto the spark plugs and they need to be either replaced or put grease cleaner on them.

Anybody's input would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks a lot![/align]

Old 06-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Default RE: Laid it down... won't start

well im new to bikes myself but i am a car mechanic. it could be the spark plugs but your issue goes deeper if your starter wont try to turn it sounds like hydrolock which pretty much means your screwed in the 2 times ive seen it on a car engine the engine pretty much had to be replaced from a shop cause it was cheaper for them than to have it taken apart and fixed by a mechanic now depending on how mechanically inclined you are if it is hydrolock u might be able to fix it cheaper than a replacement

Old 06-29-2008, 08:19 AM

Did you remove the spark plugs and try to start it? that should relieve any pressure built up and stopping your engine from cranking. remove the spark plugs, put the bike in first gear and roll it back and forth to see if the bike will move. This may free it up. The other problem, if the engine locked and you try to start it by bump starting it, You run the risk of bending a connecting rod or damaging the transmission.

Does the bike go in and out of gear ok?

Old 06-29-2008, 09:08 PM

Yeah... everything works correctly except it won't start.

The bike goes in and out of gear with no problem.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:27 PM

I'm actually right now working on getting to the spark plugs...

Old 06-29-2008, 10:46 PM

Just a thought but I would check the bank angle sensor. I have seen them coming off there clip or getting unplugged in a wreck. I have also seen them crack open in a crash. So that would be another thing you could look at. Good Luck.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:50 AM

ok ill try to explain what happend with me. for some reason the bike fell, while it was off ( i was not riding it), now after it fell it tries to turn it on but it wont start ( it does like "ti ti ti ti ti ti ti ......." but wont start". so i left it for a day without touching it just to let the oil stablise and so on. the next day i tried to start it, it does start, but after its warm around 35C, the rpm goes btw 0-1 (around the middle). at this point the bike is still on the stand (im not on it yet), so when i ride the bike it turns of! what i mean is, when the bike is in a bent position ( on the stand) at least its running but the rpm is low, when i ride on it, at which the bike is in a straight position, it turns off. weird!
now i tried like you guys said to play with the idle adjustment, if thats what it is, but i couldnt figure out how to increase or descrease the idle (tried to turn it left and right). so if you know how please let me know. if you have any other suggestions also let me know, i wanna try everything possible before i take it to a mechanic where i have to pay loads of money.
some specs about the bike:
CBR 2005 RR, around 9000 KMs, semi-syntec oil done at around 8500 KMs at honda dealer.
i really appreciate ur replies and help
thanks
Roni

Old 07-01-2008, 12:48 PM

ORIGINAL: ragecage123

Hey guys... I'm sure you get a lot of these... Lol. I was reading through some of the posts and I can't find anything that could relate to why my bike isn't starting...
I ride a 2003 CBR F4i. Pretty well maintained. Saturday night I laid it down at a pretty good pace (55-60 mph). I cannot figure out why it's not starting. I fell into a ditch on the side of the road and the motorcycle was temporarily leaking oil from the pistons.
Well I cleaned up all the oil on the motor, and from the oxygen box, the filter, everything. The only thing I can even think it would be is the spark plugs. But I want to get an opinion before I start tearing it apart again.
The bike won't roll start, won't jump start or anything. It clicks once and than just won't go. When I try to bump start it the rear tire just locks up. The motor doesn't go at all. Mmm... kind of irritating? I can't for the life of me figure out what it could be. I've been told it's possible I have hydraulic lock, which I have no idea how to fix or the price of the repair. However all fuses are ok, wiring functions, the bike primes and everything. Just it won't turn over. The starter won't even try to start.
I've also been told it could be oil leaked onto the spark plugs and they need to be either replaced or put grease cleaner on them.

Anybody's input would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks a lot![/align]
You might just want to tear it down if it is leaking oil. Something broke.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:48 PM

ORIGINAL: roni

ok ill try to explain what happend with me. for some reason the bike fell, while it was off ( i was not riding it), now after it fell it tries to turn it on but it wont start ( it does like "ti ti ti ti ti ti ti ......." but wont start". so i left it for a day without touching it just to let the oil stablise and so on. the next day i tried to start it, it does start, but after its warm around 35C, the rpm goes btw 0-1 (around the middle). at this point the bike is still on the stand (im not on it yet), so when i ride the bike it turns of! what i mean is, when the bike is in a bent position ( on the stand) at least its running but the rpm is low, when i ride on it, at which the bike is in a straight position, it turns off. weird!
now i tried like you guys said to play with the idle adjustment, if thats what it is, but i couldnt figure out how to increase or descrease the idle (tried to turn it left and right). so if you know how please let me know. if you have any other suggestions also let me know, i wanna try everything possible before i take it to a mechanic where i have to pay loads of money.
some specs about the bike:
CBR 2005 RR, around 9000 KMs, semi-syntec oil done at around 8500 KMs at honda dealer.
i really appreciate ur replies and help
thanks
Roni
I bet its an eletrical problem. Something is probably lose after you droped it/

Old 07-01-2008, 02:09 PM

i checked everyting, nothing seems to be loose, and theres no leek, the bike starts fine now, but its like cutting out, and when its warm the RPM goes to 700-800 which is less than 1000. i tries all gears they all go in regularly. any idea where to start?

Quick Reply: Laid it down... won't start