General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kill Switch - Normally Closed, or Normally Open? - 02 CBR600 F4i

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kill Switch - Normally Closed, or Normally Open? - 02 CBR600 F4i

Hey All! I'm trying to figure out which type of tethered kill switch to buy.

I need to know if the kill switch on my F4i is 'normally closed' or 'normally open'.

Can someone please help me?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Track junkie & modaholic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are you trying to do? Replace the killswitch or ignition switch. To answer your question I think its NO, I can check tmr to confirm too.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:35 PM

CJardine,

I'm trying to add a tethered kill switch, some racing rules require it. This is a switch that attaches to the rider with a lanyard. If the rider falls off, the switch pulls out and activates the kill switch.

They make kits for it but you have to know if your bike uses a 'normally open' or 'normally closed' kill switch.

Thanks so much!

Old 05-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

well let me double check before you buy it. You could wire it to your side stand switch Its a green/ yellow wire, in that case all you have to do is break the connection and the bike will cut off. It might prove cheaper because its a ground wire.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:47 PM

i have absolutely no idea but isnt it just a screw that that goes into the bottom part of the killswitch? Then if you fall off the lanyard that the screw is attached to will pull on it and pull the killswitch up and kill the bike?

And if i took a guess as to how it worked id say its normally closed when the bike is on then when you hit the kill switch it opens the circuit and that interruption or whatever would signal the ecu to kill the bike?

Old 05-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Nick your right but when current flows through a switch that means its open and when current cannot flow through that means its closed. I know, back asswards right. I suggested the understand switch because if for some reason you manage to break it its way cheaper than a new kill switch. There is also a lot less wiring going on it that loop.

Sidestand. Autocorrect on my phone is kicking my butt.

Last edited by IDoDirt; 05-04-2012 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Double Post
Old 05-04-2012, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by CJardine
Nick your right but when current flows through a switch that means its open and when current cannot flow through that means its closed. I know, back asswards right. I suggested the understand switch because if for some reason you manage to break it its way cheaper than a new kill switch. There is also a lot less wiring going on it that loop.
Wow, you guys are awesome!

So... as far as the side stand.

The side stand 'kills' the motor when the side stand is down.

When the side stand is down, the switch is 'open'.

Which means when it allows the engine to run, the sidestand switch is 'normally closed'.

In which case I'd need a tether kill switch kit for a loop that is 'normally closed'.

Like this: Amazon.com: BikeMaster ATV Tether Kill Switch - Closed/--: Automotive

Is that correct?

Old 05-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by CJardine
No, that is not right. Current/electricity/electrons flow through a switch that is CLOSED. If the switch is OPEN, current will not flow.

Think of a switch like this. This switch is OPEN, and no electricty is going to flow through it.

When someone is talking about switches or relay contacts that are either Normally Open (NO) or Normally Closed (NC), they're talking about whether the contacts in the switch/relay are in an Open or Closed state when the switch/relay is at rest. Meaning it's not being actuated. When the switch/relay is actuated/pushed/energized, then the contacts will either Open or Close depending on what state they were in prior.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

well I guess Im back asswards. I'll go tell the person who explained to me what NO and NC mean to go suck it and stop feeding me misinformation. And yet another to read twice, quote once and double check what you learn. I would still go the kickstand route but thats a personal preference thing.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Hey don't sweat it... we're all here to learn something from each other. Now you can go back and explain it to them how it really works.

This is something I find challenging when it comes to wiring diagrams. When you look at switches or relay contacts, they can be drawn in a few different ways. Usually NO contacts will be drawn as an open circle, like a uppercase "O". NC contacts will be drawn with the "O" filled in solid black. OK, easy enough. But then the electrical engineer can draw the contacts as actually OPEN or CLOSED, regardless of what type they are. Then you have to figure out, in what state is the bike in as it's drawn. What I mean is, is the Kickstand in the Up position or in the Down position (as the diagram is drawn). Is the Ignition Key turned to the On position, or Off. What about the Neutral position switch, or the Engine Stop switch. All of these different switches can be in one position or another.

All of these possibilities can make it difficult to figure out what's supposed to happen. Until you KNOW what's supposed to happen, how can you tell if what's actually happening is right or wrong ?

Quick Reply: Kill Switch - Normally Closed, or Normally Open? - 02 CBR600 F4i