General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've found an untouched 2001 CBR F4i

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 02:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've found an untouched 2001 CBR F4i

Hello to everybody. I want to get some good opinions on a bike that I stumbled across around christmas time. I was at a neighbor's house party when I noticed a honda 600 parked in a driveway across the street. Upon further inspection of the VIN number I learned the bike was a 2001 CBR F4i. Just yesterday I talked to the owner and he told me that the bike has been sitting since April 2002. He is selling it as is for $800. The bike has less than 2000 miles, has never been laid down or crashed, is in totally stock form, and was never ridden hard or raced. The reason for him not using the bike for such a long time was that he was deployed overseas off and on and in between deployments the bike was the last thing on his mind. Now I would like to know if it is worth buying the bike or is 9 years too long for a bike to be sitting? I know that some work will have to be done like fluid changes, tune up, change gas tank and battery along with new wheels and drive chain, etc. Doea anyone have an expert opinion on what happens to the engine and transmission internals and the fluids in their respective systems when sitting so long? Or is it a matter of changing fluids along with tune up etc and lubing the cylinders and let her fire up.....The bike is an untouched bike and I would hate to pass up on a good deal. I'm willing to invest $1000-1500 on top of the purchase price. Do you guys think its possible to do at that price?

Old 01-18-2011, 02:22 AM

BTW here is a link to a picture I took of the bike.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1787260910

Old 01-18-2011, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

$800 would be a steal if it had no engine in it at all.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:44 AM

Grab it now before someone else does. That's one hell of a deal.

If you're somewhat mechanically inclined and you're the one doing the job of bringing her back to life, I say just do it. Now.

Just a few things you'll need to buy upfront before trying to run it:

-spark plugs
-oil for 2 changes
-baterie
-50/50 coolant

Check before trying to run it:

-all cooling system hoses
-all intake/vaccum hoses
-thermostat
-water pump
-air filter
-fuses
-you get the drill...

Before cranking it:

-dispose old gas and clean tank if needed; new gas in
-new oil in
-spark plugs OFF the bike, pour a little oil down the 4 cylinders
engage 6 and try to push it around a few meters or manually rotate the crank (opens stuck valves and lubes the cylinders walls)
-you get the drill..

There's a alot more to it but if you want I can post some proper instructions.

Have fun!
I'm waiting for my brothers F2 to arrive and basically doing the same.

God, I love messing with engines

Old 01-18-2011, 06:47 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I think that is a great find. I would take out the spark plugs and put a few drops of oil in each cylinder. It will smoke a little bit till the oil burns off, but will help coat the cylinder walls on the start up. I would change all the fluids before you try to start her up, also.

WOW wish I could find a deal like that around here...

Old 01-18-2011, 08:19 AM
October 2010 ROTM

$800!? You'd be stupid not to buy it!

Jump on the deal before someone else does. Looks to be in prestine condition. Just some maintenance like people posted above, and you should be good to go!

Old 01-18-2011, 08:49 AM

i hope the next post is a pic of it in your garage lol. you found a great deal now jump on it before the rest of us find it hehehe

Old 01-18-2011, 08:52 AM

Thanks for the reply guys. I've already sealed the deal but can't pick up the bike till the registration and title changes hands. The good news is I can walk the bike to my house since the current owner lives down the street from me.

Slick 6 -If you could give me those proper instructions I would truly appreciate it. Today I will pick up a Yuasa battery, four NGK IMR9A-9H spark plugs, 8 quarts of 10w-40 oil (any recommendations to what oil and coolant brand/make?). If you look closely at the photograph, the tires have lost air but have almost all of the tread left. Also the brake rotors are covered in surface rust and the drive chain and sprocket is rusted as well. What should I do with those areas of the bike?

BTW I am mechanically inclined but I have never worked on motorcycles so I welcome the work it will take to prep her up, just as long as I have proper instruction. I went ahead and downloaded the PDF manual for the CBR 2001-03 and will read it over to get an idea of whats in store. Fill me in guys. This is my first bike (used to ride motoX and 5 years on my pops harley) Its my time now.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your damn lucky your location isnt posted or id be headin that way.

PLEASE GO GET THAT BIKE! It needs to be loved and ridden again. That poor girl has gone about 9 years without any action so take it slow till she is warmed up and then give it to her hard.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93
Your damn lucky your location isnt posted or id be headin that way.

PLEASE GO GET THAT BIKE! It needs to be loved and ridden again. That poor girl has gone about 9 years without any action so take it slow till she is warmed up and then give it to her hard.
That is definitely the plan. And I live in Puerto Rico. The recession hit hard on the island and people are selling all kinds of good stuff for pennies! Woohoo

Quick Reply: I've found an untouched 2001 CBR F4i