General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Injection or carbs on 929?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 02:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Putting carbs on a 929?

This one has been done to death I'm sure but from what I've seen its usually people discussing putting later fuel injection on their earlier Fireblades and the various issues involved in that.
As a few of you may know I'm a new member here and building a 929 ground up from an explosion of parts from years of riding/breaking bikes/crashing every other make.
I have rebuilt a 929 cylinder head and found some lower cases from a 929.I also have a set of carbs from a cbr900 SC2 which I could rebuild and, well you guess the rest...
Yes, I'm asking to take it backwards in its development and the possible problems I might encounter, this is a road going Frankenstein and will never be my track bike, it's an experiment.
What do you think? I can see no reason why it wouldn't but there may be something here I'm not seeing, I asked a Honda trained technician about it and he made it sound like I was trying to put a Buell engine in there. Cheers
PS. I've got the 929 frame and 954 swinger so I'm committed now....

Last edited by slider88; 06-11-2020 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Incorrect specifics
Old 06-11-2020, 08:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some guys that are formally trained think that all that can be done is what they’ve been trained to know...kind of an odd sentence but you get my point. You sound like you have a good amount of hands on experience. I don’t know much but my carbs definitely get the job done! Throw some on a 929 and that baby would have to be fast, right? Anyways, these other guys will be able to help you with some details. Can’t wait to see the finished product.

Old 06-11-2020, 10:07 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

If the carbs actually fit, they would provide fuel. How would you negotiate the fuel supply issue from an injection pump and tank? The air box and ram air not fitting? The coils needing the ECM to fire? Speedo and rest of the gauges, providing you planned to use them?

Old 06-12-2020, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by 74demon
If the carbs actually fit, they would provide fuel. How would you negotiate the fuel supply issue from an injection pump and tank? The air box and ram air not fitting? The coils needing the ECM to fire? Speedo and rest of the gauges, providing you planned to use them?
I see your point, the only part of this bike that is 929 is the frame and head. If the 929 crankcases could be wedded to an earlier head/tank/electrics my build would be a lot easier!
I have access to a 98 blade my mate brought back from France in 2014, it would be interesting to get the specs.
The only money I'm going to spend here is the bearings and fuel......

Old 06-12-2020, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by rider74
Some guys that are formally trained think that all that can be done is what they’ve been trained to know...kind of an odd sentence but you get my point. You sound like you have a good amount of hands on experience. I don’t know much but my carbs definitely get the job done! Throw some on a 929 and that baby would have to be fast, right? Anyways, these other guys will be able to help you with some details. Can’t wait to see the finished product.
Agreed and people say to me I should have just rebuilt an earlier model but the point is I've paid nothing so far and the idea behind it all is a working bike that's fast enough for the roads around this part of the UK. If its doable I'll do it. Thanks

Old 06-12-2020, 01:41 AM

So when the beer goggles were on we sat in the garage discussing Cam timing/pulse rotors/air fuel ratios until I realized everyone was **** about front and thinking of efi replacing carbs!
The obvious differences in the frames/Tanks etc exclude bottom end/top end molestation so you look at the carbs being made to fit and as 74demon points out regarding the airbox/coils etc
I would need to find an alternatives for the electrics/fuel delivery and exhaust system.
It's a good laugh though and I'm not taking it to the Skerries 100 or the IOM . Talk to you later

Old 06-12-2020, 04:17 AM
Default Puting carbs on 929?

I looked at fitting a 919 tank if the carbs fitted up. Obviously the frame is different and the back the 929 tank sits down lower at rear. I'm not sure how much of it is dedicated to fuel capacity.

However something is going on with this 954 Erion superbike, am I imagining there's something going on between tank and seat unit? Looks like something been shifted?
i think if I had the 954 frame were the sub joins further up I might have been able to get an earlier tank to sit better...

Last edited by slider88; 06-12-2020 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Wrong specifications
Old 06-12-2020, 06:55 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by slider88
I see your point, the only part of this bike that is 929 is the frame and head. If the 929 crankcases could be wedded to an earlier head/tank/electrics my build would be a lot easier!
I have access to a 98 blade my mate brought back from France in 2014, it would be interesting to get the specs.
The only money I'm going to spend here is the bearings and fuel......
In your OP, you said you had the 929 head, lower cases, frame, and a 954 swingarm. What lower cases do you have?

Old 06-12-2020, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
In your OP, you said you had the 929 head, lower cases, frame, and a 954 swingarm. What lower cases do you have?
Lower cases are 929 with sump. Sorry for misunderstanding.

Last edited by slider88; 06-12-2020 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:51 AM
Default Back to Injection....

After a lot of phone calls I was offered ECU+loom for 200 quid. Too good to turn down against carb building testing etc. When I was in Lancashire the seller offered me a vtr1000 rear wheel.....and that's a new post.

Quick Reply: Injection or carbs on 929?