General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm going to SMASH my tachometer!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm going to SMASH my tachometer!

01 F4i

The tach and digital gauge worked fine and suddenly the tach ( RPM needle ) quit working. I read posts everywhere on this and i cant fix it. yesterday I pried and wiggled and jammed the wiring harness every which way and the tach needle would jump and i could turn the key on and off and it would the needle would clear itself everytime. the minute i moved it around it quit again. I will pound on the top of the gauge its self and sometimes the needle will jump around and get connection but i cant keep it. tonight i noticed a bunch of rashed wires so i clipped them all and connected them Directly bypassing the clip in the harness thinking it could have bad or loose ends. that did not help either. there is one more wiring clip to that gauge but i dont want to cut the ends off of all those too if i dont have to because everything worsk fine but the tach. I KNOW the effing thing works because it does when it wants but i cant find the problem. I have seen a post about some ground on the back of the frame that never was described good enough for me to find, and trust me i have had every inch of that effing wire looked at.

If i had the money i would love to rip the **** out of all these wires and replace every single electric component on this damn bike. I'm sounding a bit frustrated because I JUST got inside after yanking on damn wires for an hour straight without fixing a single ############# thing!

I appreciate any help

Old 03-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the service manual, there should be a diagnostic routine for the gauges. I know the F3 has test points on the back of the cluster.