General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition problem...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition problem...

I decided I wanted to ride today and when I went to start up the bike it wouldn't start so I decided to troubleshoot it. I went to the root; power, I had plenty; fuses, none were blown. So I had no power to the ignition. Well, I traced the ignition wires and followed to see where they fed from, I came to find out that they lead to what appears to be some kind of "power distribution block". Well, here are some pics and a video of these things. I'd like to know the technical terms and some suggestions as to what could have caused this.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/IMG_1824.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/IMG_1821.jpg

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=MVI_1827.flv

I'd appreciate any help or advice. Thank you.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:13 PM
Default RE: Ignition problem...

Well, that's your starter relay, and it looks like you gnawed on it.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:32 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

so does the bike turn over @ all? if not do you hear the click from thestarter relay ?

Old 05-31-2007, 02:16 AM

Here's what I did to once I figured that out; since I didn't have power to the ignition, I ran a jumper wire(for testingpurposes only) to the ignition harness and "voila"the bike started right up, so that "thing" has to be involved with the ignition some how cause the starter sounded as healthy as always. Could it be an ignition relay? Thanks guys I strongly appreciate the feedback.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:50 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

either way if its not turning over you should be hearing a clicking noise coming from that relay and it you arent then you need to replace it

Old 05-31-2007, 03:53 AM

ORIGINAL: tank_900rr
Here's what I did to once I figured that out; since I didn't have power to the ignition, I ran a jumper wire(for testingpurposes only) to the ignition harness and "voila"the bike started right up, so that "thing" has to be involved with the ignition some how cause the starter sounded as healthy as always. Could it be an ignition relay? Thanks guys I strongly appreciate the feedback.
Ok first, did you bother reading my post? Second, what do you mean you ran a jumper to the ignition harness? The ignition harness is up by the ignition, and jumpering that you're bypassing3 fuses (and about 10 feet of wire), the fuse you show in that picture (aka the main fuse) and2 ignition fuses (possibly 1, I don't remember what year 900 they switched to 2, either way they're going to be 10A fuses in the main fuse block).

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you meant that you ran a jumper to the starter harness (thus bypassing the ruined starter relay as I pointed out in the first post, as well as the destroyed main fuse sitting next to it). Obviously this fixes the problem because there is nothing wrong with your ignition or any of the switches feeding power to the ignition, the only problem is the starter relay and the main fuse.

I've included a picture from the service manual that also points to the part in your pictures and video and has it labeled:

Old 05-31-2007, 02:21 PM

Thanks so much rabbit, oh and you were right about the jumper. Oh, and yes I did pay attention to your post. All I had done was prior to posting on here, after posting I stopped all work and I was just stating what I had done before. So do I need to replace the pigtail that plugs into it as well? Thanks.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:25 PM

First thing I would suggest is replace that fuse there, it's a 30A blade type automotive fuse (should be able to get them for like 50 cents). If the fuse blows immediately, or if after replacing it you still can't start it then the relay itself is probably jammed. I think that the p/n for the relay is 35850-MR5-007 but check at a dealer before you order it. It's possible some water or a little piece of metal got in there and shorted between pins, it's hard to tell just looking at pictures. Depending on how electrically savvy you are (and the amount of theft deterrent you want) you could probably wire in a radioshack relay for about $5 that would act the same as the relay that's there. Only problem with that is the way the relay is setup it has connections to things like the clutch switch and neutral position switch, you'd have to really study the wiring diagrams and make sure you're wiring everything up right. And from the pics you posted it doesn't look like you'll need to replace the wires going into the relay.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:00 PM

Thanks rabbit, I was actually about to go down to the Honda dealer to get a price on it and place the order. It's cheaper to rig it up but not 100%. I just feel terrible cause I just spent alot on paint and other junk and then this. I'm glad I have alot of patience. I have an 8 pound sledge in the garage, I'm just keeping my distance from it.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:54 PM

Be prepared, that little relay is going to run you $70-$80 at a dealership.

Quick Reply: Ignition problem...