General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I REALLLY need help with my brakes guys....

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I REALLLY need help with my brakes guys....

Hey guys, hows it goin. When I first got my bike I noticed a slight vibration in my front brakes... Ive learned to ride without using them at high speeds just in case. Well, its not cutting it anymore... Im way to hard on my rear brake and I know its going to overheat/warp pretty soon if I cant find something to fix my front end jitters...

Is it my rotors or pads? How do I check? When I am rolling the bike in nuetral I can hear the pads kind of scrape, then they are silent for part of the revolution, then scrape etc. etc. That means it is a warped rotor right? How do I check if its just one or both, or even if it really is rotors and not pads... or something else?

if it is the rotor.. how can I fix it cheaply... if I cant fix it (I know you can shave/true them to a point) where can I find some cheap oem pieces, or cheaper aftermarket... I dont really care as to what brand because they will all hold up Im sure, just need something thats not out of whack... I just cant stand being afraid to use my fronts anymore....

Thanks a lot for any help,

Chris

Old 03-12-2006, 12:15 AM
Default RE: I REALLLY need help with my brakes guys....

yo u need to replace your front rotors and u sould just do
the pads to

Old 03-12-2006, 12:28 AM

New rotors and pads are way cheaper than one night in a hospital.

Old 03-12-2006, 12:44 AM

I definately agree with the cheaper than hospital comment... but at times, it doesnt seem like it... I havent been able to find a set of front rotors for my bike cheaper than 200 bucks, unless its on e-bay and god knows what kind of shape those are in... Then add on the 50-60 dollar pads on top of that....

Im just trying to find the cheapest way to do it to get me by. I have to move in may/june, I can NOT stand this town much longer. Have lived here all my life and its really starting to get to me, kinda freaking ill never get out... but anyways... gotta move and I wont have a job for a little bit during/after the move... so I want to keep as much money saved as possible... but its definately hell without the bike think I could take them into a shop and have a little shaved off of each side? I realize this would compromise some of the brakes ability to cool, but I have yet to attend a track day. I could live with riding easy till i can get the permanent fix of new rotors/pads all around....

thanks for the help so far guys, sorry its so long and im so impatient.... love my bike, its what i do...

Chris

Old 03-12-2006, 01:05 AM
Retired Mod

shaving the rotors (known as having them turned) is something that is done to remove surface inperfections, not fix a warped rotor. unfortunately the only fix for a warped rotor is replacement. i know that money is an issue but that is the only sure fix.

but there are some things that can be done in the meantime. first off, check and make sure the rotors were not installed improperly. remove the rotor bolts and retighten them down to factory specs. maybe the problem is with a loose bolt or improper/over tightening (not very likely but a free thing to check.) another option would be to replace the pads and see if the problem continues.

i would get the bike up on a stand and spin the front tire. you should be able to eyeball it and see if there is a warped rotor or rotors. or you can take them off and lay them down on a surface that you know is flat and see how bad they are.

i would check into every possible solution before dropping $300 or more on parts that you may or may not need.

Old 03-12-2006, 01:45 AM

Yeah, like why replace both rotors if only one is warped. The right way to check them is spin them with a dial gauge and check for runout. You could remove one set of pads and see if the other pads scrape, then repeat on the other side. The pins holding the pads get grooves in them that could hold the pads against the rotor. It's time to take the pads out and investigate.

Old 03-12-2006, 07:47 AM

rotors for sure

galfer

Old 03-12-2006, 02:58 PM

It sounds like the rotors are warped, does it happen when you brake hard? you feel a judder on the brake lever?

Old 03-12-2006, 06:06 PM

Yeah anubis... its like the whole front end is going to fall into a tankslapper almost if I get on the fronts hard... pretty sure thats what it is then...

I gotta find a stand for the front then... anywhere I can get them cheap or... :S I dont know, this is starting to suck... bout ready to pay off the bike and buy one for about 500 bucks so I can have some money to fix the **** when it breaks... soooo frustrating

Old 03-13-2006, 01:41 AM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well it's not the best way to do it, and actually kinda ghetto, but for me since I don't have a front stand either I just put the rear up on the rear stand then use 2 of the little scissor jacks that come with your car (I use mine and my roomates jacks... I guess it helps we have identical cars so identical jacks as well, lol) and I use a jack under each fork and jack up evenly. Not the sturdiest but hey it works in a pinch. As far as vibration, most definitely the rotors. Easy way to tell which one (or both) are warped without actually measuring them... get the front wheel off the ground somehow so you can spin it, then take something witha flat edge (even a large socket works) and hold it on the fork as close to the rotor as you can without touching it. Put a light behind the fork on the side your checking, then spin the wheel and watch the gap between the rotor and the object you're holding next to it. You'll be able to see right away if it's warped or not.

Ebay is a good place to find rotors though, you just gotta watch for some good ones. I got a pair of fronts for mine for $53, off a 2005 with 680 miles. Absolute MINT condition and straight as an arrow, didn't have to do anything to them and they're smooth as glass! Took my old ones to a friend of mine that straightens rotors (and forks and pretty much anything else straighter than it came from the factory) and it only costs $35 to straighten the pair. Now I have 2 sets and when these warp I'll swap on my straightened ones and send these out to be straightened

Quick Reply: I REALLLY need help with my brakes guys....