General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have a neutral light problem and projector issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a neutral light problem and projector issue

I have tried to figure this out on my own and have asked around to no avail. The bike doesn't like going into neutral whenever it is warm. Unless I jam it hard from first to second it will go into neural even riding after making a few fast successive clicks. on top of that every now and again it won't go into first with me having to jam my heel down to get it to shift.
when the clutch is pulled in it doesn't feel like it is partially engaged, and the other gears are completely fine. I'm lost.
On to the second issue. I bought projector headlights from streetbikelites.com. I an having aiming and brightness issues if anyone has experience with those, then I could definitely use the help. I got the 6000k kit and it is dim. Like so dim that the street lights are brighter than it is, and it its like a flood light. No upper cutoff and it is lighting up the signs on the far left hand side of a 4 lane highway across a 20 foot median. I don't understand at all. It is on a 00 f4, and any ideas would be awesome. Thanks.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:52 PM

Nothing?

Old 10-19-2011, 02:02 AM

For your issue with the shifting, it could be something as simple as the shift linkage out of adjustment, or something more complex and expensive as a bent shift fork inside the transmission. If your oil is dirty, it may contribute to the issue. But just from the sounds of it, I would lean towards there being an issue with a shift fork. But its hard to say without actually seeing the bike in person.

As for the light, it sounds like you do not have the bulb properly seated in the housing. If the bulb is not seated correctly, the light will not reflect in the proper locations of the housing and you will get wide, uncontrolled pattern that will be scattered.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:29 AM

I guess I'll have to do a lot more digging into the transmission deal. I painted the reflector black though since you don't use it with a projector. I figured out the aiming issue today but still can't figure out why the beam is so wide. I'm assuming it is just the way the lens refracts the light.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

light could also be a reverse wiring ..

shifting sounds like either a shift fork like previously mentioned... or when was the last time you drained/cleaned and rebled your clutch line...

how old is the clutch

higher speed shifts will work without a clutch cause the engine is already going
lower speeds rely more often on the clutch as without it .. it would stall

(if that makes any sense in simple terms)

Old 10-22-2011, 11:54 AM

It is a cable clutch but the clutch also isn't dragging when I disengage it. The oil is about 700 miles old. It is only through the first two gears and only when at temperature.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pull the cover .. could have a clutch spring gone bad... or too tight.. could be a few things... u need to hands on diagnoisis and open things up ... hard to tell you from a descirption

Old 10-27-2011, 07:41 AM

If the bike lurches forward as you engage 1st gear then it does sound as though the clutch isn't disengaging properly. Try taking all the play out at the clutch lever and see if this helps in selecting 1st gear. If it does then you need to look at the clutch and check all the plates and the clutch basket. Wear on the tangs of the plates and wear in the grooves of the basket and driving boss will stop the clutch from freeing off properly. As stated, all other gears will engage ok when the bike is on the move. Selector forks may be an issue but check the clutch first for proper operation, change the oil,check cable route for tight action and adjustment. Phew! Lots to do! LOL! Good luck and let us know how you get on?

Old 10-28-2011, 05:11 AM

I was afraid that I was going to have to take the thing apart first. It just sucks having the bike in pieces and not really have too much of a direction because it really could all be the problem. After I get back from houston late next week I'll start ripping things to pieces. I'm sure a diy will follow after I get my eyes uncrossed over the whole deal.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:58 PM
Default Temporary fix, but It'll work

I'm not sure if anyone would want this as a write up because people generally just try not to buy ****ty lights, but this is how I fixed mine (after some serious trial and error).
Name:  1029111539a.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  40.9 KB
My mistake was that I didn't do enough research, so I ended up with those. The projectors were no more than a lens, housing, and reflector. As you can see the cut off shield was flat against the lens and painted black. On top of all that they were made to be installed upside down!

At any rate, I played with many ideas but came up with this.
Name:  1029111709.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  38.7 KB
I cut out that worthless original shield and painstakingly cut one out of an aluminum can. After painting one side black, and covering the other with foil tape, I came up with this.
Name:  1030111958.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  53.9 KB
This was the original beam pattern from about 10 feet after I turned it right side up.
Name:  1030112238.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  39.3 KB
This was my new and improved version.
Name:  1030112237.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  35.8 KB
Not perfect but not bad by aluminum can standards.

Quick Reply: I have a neutral light problem and projector issue