General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i have a few qestions about puting a chain on my bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007 | 09:59 PM
|
Default i have a few qestions about puting a chain on my bike

i dont have a chain riviting tool. is this tool any good for my home use or is it junk? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EK-RK...QQcmdZViewItem

where do i get a chain and the sprokets for a 2001 f4i at a good price? i want a stock set up doesnt have to be made by honda though

Old 04-10-2007 | 11:07 PM
Default RE: i have a few qestions about puting a chain on my bike

You don't need a chain riviting tool if the chain you purchase has a master link. I have just ground away the pins. Then take a flet head and a hammer and stick the flat head inbetween the link and outside plate. Hammer on the screw driver, you'll slowly see the plate pull off. If you get the screw driver in far enough, you can twist it and the plate will pop off. After taking out the other have of the link, the chain essentially falls off from there.

Old 04-11-2007 | 05:38 PM

I wouldn't master link a chain on a 600 because its not as strong as riveting it. Buy the rivet tool or find someone who has one and borrow it.

Old 04-11-2007 | 06:11 PM

ORIGINAL: 95camaro01f4i

i dont have a chain riviting tool. is this tool any good for my home use or is it junk? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EK-RK...QQcmdZViewItem
I cannot comment on the tool you linked becauseI've never used it. IMHO, you get what you pay for when it comes to chain tools. I have the DID chain tool. It cost $100+ but it has paid for itself several times over.

ORIGINAL: marc0011

You don't need a chain riviting tool if the chain you purchase has a master link.
ORIGINAL: kustom98f3

I wouldn't master link a chain on a 600 because its not as strong as riveting it.
The info here is a little misleading. All chains (except the "endless" factory chains) use a master link. Its then a question of which type of master link. There are two types, clip and rivet. Both [technically] require tools to install though many have found some ways around it (not all of which I would trust).

Personally, I think you're better off getting the proper chain tools and using a rivet-type master link. If you do that, this can help you with installation:
http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/257864.aspx

Old 04-11-2007 | 11:43 PM
|

your right abadfish if im gona get the tool i should get the right one and i dont have a stand so i would have to buy that to and by the time i get done i could have paid the dealer to do it. so this time im gona pay the dealer to replace the chain ill buy a set of stands this summer and then next year ill get the chain tool so i can do it my self from now on.

dealer said he would do the chain and both sprokets for 250 thanks for your help guys

Old 04-11-2007 | 11:49 PM

ORIGINAL: 95camaro01f4i

your right abadfish if im gona get the tool i should get the right one and i dont have a stand so i would have to buy that to and by the time i get done i could have paid the dealer to do it. so this time im gona pay the dealer to replace the chain ill buy a set of stands this summer and then next year ill get the chain tool so i can do it my self from now on.

dealer said he would do the chain and both sprokets for 250 thanks for your help guys
camaro, think about what you said....You're willing to spend $250 to get this job done. The tool could be had for $100 (or so) and a stand for $130 (for a PitBull, there are cheaper stands). These tools would pay for themselves with just one use and then you'd have them again for next time. I'm not trying to tell you how to spend your money but its obvious that you like to work on your bike. So why shell out so much for a dealership to do it???????

Old 04-12-2007 | 01:45 AM
|

oh i know what your saying badfish and i wish i had the money right now to do that but i cant. it would cost me almost 400 to do it that way and right now i also need a set of tires soon. and my chain is so shot i cant ride till i replace it. i really really want to do this my self but when i look at the imediate cost i got to say i dont see it happening.

Old 04-12-2007 | 02:18 AM

omgwhataripoff!

i wish some of you guys lived close or something...cause i just can't stand the dealer screwing so many people! i wouldn't do the work for you cause i gots a screaming baby but i will tell you what you need to do so you learn this crap!

tahoe's heart breaks when people get ripped off!

Old 04-14-2007 | 01:14 PM
|

so me and my freind who knows more about bike then me were looking at my bike the other day and he said that the rear sproket was fine and that i dont have to change it yet i can wait a few months. the prior owner said he had replaced it before i bought it along with the front sproket but its -1 on the front and its throwing off the speedo and i have no use for a -1 on the front so i want to go back to a the stock front sproket would it be alright to just change the front sproket and the chain? by doing this it means i would not have to go to the shop to get it done. and when i do go to the shop in a to get my tires changed in a few months i can have them throw the sproket on while there changing the tires.

abad where can i get a DID chain tool.

i sorta want to stay away from the dealer on this so how do i order a chain and know im geting the right side and amount of links? and when i look on ronayers for the front sproket i cant find it all i can find is the rear sproket.

Old 04-14-2007 | 01:41 PM

I wouldn't change sprockets right now. Chains and sprockets [ideally] should be changed together. Otherwise, a worn chain will cause new sprockets to wear faster and vice versa.

I got my DID chain tool from an onlinevendor that is no longer in business. I know Kowa Tools sells it.

As far as the right amount of links goes, just order a 120 link chain and cut accordingly with your new chain tool.

Quick Reply: i have a few qestions about puting a chain on my bike