General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Cant Get My 1992 Honda cbr 600 F2 to start

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool I Cant Get My 1992 Honda cbr 600 F2 to start

I Recently bought a 1992 honda cbr 600, it would start and ride when i first got it but kept dying, the battery would not hold charge? it kept dying. i parked the bike to charge the battery, when i went to crank it after the battery was fully charged it would not crank, with or without the choke, i made the mistake of trying to give it throttle to try and start it therefore i may have flooded it.. also while trying to start it, it would sparatically backfire out of the exhaust? one more thing i forgot to mention, the guy that sold it to me said he had jump started it at some point with a running car, but keep in mind when he brought it to me it would start and run but i noticed it would not idle, it would cut off. i got a great deal on the bike but now i am extremely disappointed that it will not start.. also the battery in it at the moment that came with the bike is a very small battery that takes up only about half of the battery compartment. im not sure what to do now to get it started, could it be the stator or regulator? or something as simple as the right battery? any advice would be greatly appreciated guys.. im a newbie and have a lot to learn.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:50 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Back fire ....may be foul spark plug...a bad spark plug will mis-fire...

1. Take care of what the bike NEEDS first.

Obviously a battery since the one on the bike is different size. Battery compatibility is important.

Next change all liquid such as Oil, brake fluid, coolant etc... Even if these things has nothing to do with firing bike up, these procedure are basic maintain, sooner or later you will need it. Take this time to get to know your F2.

Check the spark plug wire, coil, if corrosion? If yes, replace them. Then pull the spark plugs out and see what color? Does it look all black with oil them, if yes replace them...check for sparks by hitting the start button, see if you have sparks igniting.

Then check air, is the filter clean, intake clean, no hoses pinch, or missing...look for anything out of ordinary.

Check fuel system, fuel pump priming (but your year may not have one) check fuel filter is your year have one.

Chances are, you will need carb cleaning...there is a thread here on that call Carb cleaning 101.....

Hope this show you a direction.... These bikes are older model...take TLC...we all have to pay our dues...put in effort and you'll see result...

Keep us posted

Old 05-13-2012, 06:48 PM

My appologies for taking so long to post, well i managed to make the time around work and school to try and figure out the problem, i pulled the plugs and seen they were pouled beyond no return, probably the original ones from 1992! i went and bought a new set and changed them out, turned the gas on, choked it, hit the starter and fired right up! once the bike was warmed up it idled just fine and i rode for about 2 hours till the battery died, i need to replace it with the correct size asap, hopefully thats the cause of why its dying, just a bad battery, could there be other reasons as to why it dies? and whats the correct battery i should buy?

Old 05-13-2012, 06:50 PM

By the way, estate4life you were right on about the plugs, thank you!

Old 05-14-2012, 12:58 AM

R/R

Old 05-15-2012, 12:01 PM

Well ive been riding ever since i got it running but after about an hour of riding the bike just dies and i gotta recharge the battery. i pulled the battery out and charged it on its own, when it got done i let it sit for a day and checked it, it had 100% charge, so i know its not the battery, what else could be causing my cbr not to hold charge....?

Old 05-15-2012, 03:23 PM

yeah man ,the back firing indicates to me that your spark plugs might need a changing.
And if your noticed that your battery was a different size than that it shoudl actually hold, man that is a red flag. Get the right size battery in that puppy.
If your stumped after all that. Go get a trip inspection from a bike dealer and let them fine tune the problems. I just got the call today about my 92 cbr600 f2 and why it was runnign hot.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:57 PM
February 2012 ROTM

That's great Kcbr600 that you install new plug & bike ran....it's a good sign. Now you must put money where you need first before assumming anything else. It's obvious you new the correct size battery because using the wrong size can affect the bike's ignition pulse somehow? IDK

Get something like this...these are great for the money, there are some battery that cost $5 less but not gel base.

Honda Motorcycle Scooter CBR 600 CBR900R VT600C XR650L GEL Battery YTX9-BS UTX9 | eBay

Install a new CORRECT size battery...while you are at it, check the battery cable terminal, if its old and corrosion exist, replace the +/- terminal...you can even buy cheap used one....a solid strong connecting is a must....any loose connect can rattle loose during riding and bike can loose power.

Do above first before assuming the R/R or the STATOR.....

One last note, these bike are older model so the don't feed fuel with a pump, it's gravity set up, so avoid riding bike with 20% full of gas....always keep bike at least 30%-40% full....a low tank has less gravitation pull so carb may be starving of gas therefore hesitate.

K ....G. luck

Old 05-16-2012, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by estate4life
Do above first before assuming the R/R or the STATOR.....
On a Honda, I always assume it's the R/R (Regulator/Rectifier) since they go so often.

Go to a car parts store and pick up a volt meter if you don't have one ($10). When the bike is running, connect the volt meter to the battery terminals. At idle it should be around 13.5 volts. When you rev it up, it should increase voltage but never go over 14.5. Anything outside of those ranges and your R/R is probably bad (or your stator, but that's a lot less common).

Old 05-16-2012, 06:10 PM
February 2012 ROTM

When his battery is half the size of his tray?

Quick Reply: I Cant Get My 1992 Honda cbr 600 F2 to start