General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hurricane wont start!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 04:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hurricane wont start!

ok here goes. i got a cbr600f1 and it didnt run when i got it. i cleaned the floatbowls and jets and it started running.

it ran a little strangely and fouled plugs.
i would ride it and it would start fine amd run ok every time, then after about 3 weeks i just went out to start it one day and it ran all wierd and eventually sputtered out and died. so i changed the plugs. and it started fine for another 3 weeks or so.

died the same way as before. only this time when i changed the plugs, it wont start.

im going to check my spark tomorrow.

what would you guys think it wrong off the top of your heads?
if im fouling plugs does that mean i need to rebuild my carbs?
why would it just run fine and when i park it just not start?

Old 07-10-2011, 05:51 PM

so i checked my spark and its barely sparking. only saw it spark like twice when i tried turning it over.

what part of my goddamn should i test? what do i doooo?

Old 07-10-2011, 06:29 PM

I would start with the carbs. Chances are your new plugs are fouled and that's why they sparking randomly. Once they foul, they are usually junk.

With a bike of that vintage, I would start checking petcock valve to make sure it's not leaking. Also, are you turning the petcock off when you park it? I would guess you are loosing fuel though the carbs and into the combustion chamber. When you go to start it again, there is too much fuel and the plugs foul out.

Also check you oil level and make sure it's not too high or smell like gas. If the petcock is leaking, it can leak fuel into the crankcase.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:41 PM

thank you for the advice squid. yeah i didnt turn off the petcock that often.
and i had to eliminate the fuel pump due to it not working. could this let unwanted gas into the carbs?
the fuel pump has something in it blocking gas from pumping, but it makes noise and pushes air.
is there any way of cleaning it? its crimped together so i cant take it apart.

not sure if this is part of the problem.

and if the carbs are leaking gas into the cylinders, des that mean i have to rebuild the carbs?

Old 07-11-2011, 03:51 AM

Could be a faulty fuel pump not delivering enough fuel from what you have described. Can you get hold of a good second-hand one to try? Do you have a mate with the same bike who would be willing to let you try his fuel pump? Trying to think of the cheapest way to help you out! If the pump is pumping air, then fuel may not be entering it, so check for leaks and supply to the pump. Spark plugs can be simply cleaned with a brass wire brush after soaking in petrol then checking and resetting the gaps if necessary. Don't go throwing them away!

Originally Posted by seatea123
thank you for the advice squid. yeah i didnt turn off the petcock that often.
and i had to eliminate the fuel pump due to it not working. could this let unwanted gas into the carbs?
the fuel pump has something in it blocking gas from pumping, but it makes noise and pushes air.
is there any way of cleaning it? its crimped together so i cant take it apart.

not sure if this is part of the problem.

and if the carbs are leaking gas into the cylinders, des that mean i have to rebuild the carbs?

Old 07-26-2011, 08:32 AM

Yeah, just like try pushing fuel into your motor and then starting it.... Maybe it will start that way...Idk...
You could also try to pressing the primer bulb a few dozen times before starting. Then hold down on the starter button while fondling the combustulator.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:19 PM

hahah hey omaha rider. i cant seem to locate the primer bulb or the combustulator, i think its a spark problem and i am in the middle of diagnosing it.

is it common for the pulse generator to die on hurricanes?
it showed the wrong resistance when i tested ohms.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by justasquid
I would start with the carbs. Chances are your new plugs are fouled and that's why they sparking randomly. Once they foul, they are usually junk.

With a bike of that vintage, I would start checking petcock valve to make sure it's not leaking. Also, are you turning the petcock off when you park it? I would guess you are loosing fuel though the carbs and into the combustion chamber. When you go to start it again, there is too much fuel and the plugs foul out.

Also check you oil level and make sure it's not too high or smell like gas. If the petcock is leaking, it can leak fuel into the crankcase.
SO.. i pulled the left side cover where the pulse generator is and sure enough. it looked like the oil was diluted in gas and it reeked of gas.

will an oil change and new petcock likely help my problem?

Old 08-09-2011, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by seatea123
SO.. i pulled the left side cover where the pulse generator is and sure enough. it looked like the oil was diluted in gas and it reeked of gas.

will an oil change and new petcock likely help my problem?

Not likely

If the **** is gravity fed, then what is stopping fuel from overfilling the carbs besides the lack of a fuel pump? Have you pulled the plug from the **** to see if fuel pours out of it? Can anyone on here confirm whether these old ***** are gravity fed or vacuum?

I would change the oil once you figure out why the gas is flooding into the motor.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Omaha rider
Not likely

If the **** is gravity fed, then what is stopping fuel from overfilling the carbs besides the lack of a fuel pump? Have you pulled the plug from the **** to see if fuel pours out of it? Can anyone on here confirm whether these old ***** are gravity fed or vacuum?

I would change the oil once you figure out why the gas is flooding into the motor.
If you keep fouling plugs and there is gas in the oil, you've got more gas going to the cylinders than the plugs can handle (might sound obvious, but...!). A couple possible reasons:

1) Running waaay too rich (clean carbs and recheck floats, jets, choke, etc))
2) Carb is right but plugs aren't getting enough spark (What kind of shape/how old is the battery? How is the R/R? Very common for Hondas of this era to have R/R problems. They're also VERY sensitive to running a healthy battery.)
3) Silly question, but are you using the right plug/heat range?

Are all the plugs fouling evenly or just some of them?

Not sure about the 600, but the 1000 pc uses vacuum (at least '90 and up).

Might also wanna try asking over in the Hurricane forum.

Good luck, mate.

Quick Reply: hurricane wont start!