General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to make a bike more marketable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make a bike more marketable?

Any suggestions on how to make my bike more marketable? I am possibly looking to sell my 600rr in the spring so that I can bump up to a cbr 1000. I currently have a few minor modifications: frame sliders, fender eliminator, micron slip-on exhaust, Dyno Jet power commander, black foot pegs (have the red/black scheme), smoke windscreen, and integrated turn signals. The bike doesn't have a lot of miles, which is why I'm more looking at the values buyers would have on the looks of a bike.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How to make a bike more marketable?

don't ride it anymore and don't drop any more money into it. clean/polish everything then list after spring, summertime is prime. you have all the basic mods...and although mods cost a lot, it doesn't quite increase the value of a bike as one would hope for.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Retired Moderator

yes the mods won't add any value but if you're bike is not selling as is, in some cases mods will make it more "marketable" .. if buyer has choice between bike A with no mods and bike B with decent mods and all things are equal (including the price) most will chose B but usually won't pay higher for it. But if it's not selling I would lower price before adding mods .. there are plenty of people who prefer a stock bike with a clean slate whereby they can do their own mods.

And some mods even have the opposite effect; the more unique the mods/bike, the more you limit number of buyers interested.

IMO, best thing you can do to make it sell is do what T said and clean it up (fix any noticeable rash, etc..) and then give it exposure .. ebay, cycletrader, forums etc... but I wouldn't do any further mods

Old 11-02-2007, 11:06 PM
Retired Moderator

^^ I agree. A stock bike looks less "dicked around with", and appeals to more people. My dad always told me "never buy a modified car" and that's kind of stuck with me, even when shopping for vehicles other than cars. If you have the stock exhaust, fender, etc. etc. I would put the bike BACK to stock, and then sell off your other parts either on eBay or to the person who buys your bike if they want them.

I just know that I would want a stock bike if I was buying used. That's just me though. Good luck............and don't underestimate Craigslist.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:13 PM

I agree with blue fox
everytime i buy i vehicle i look for stock ones. If a vehicle has performance mods, i always think twice about buying it, and i will lean more towards an unmodified vehicle.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:42 PM

First thing is get the bike so clean you dont want to even touch it. Then advertise the crap out of it...free ads first. Craigslist has been good to me... I have sold my junkers and even my high priced bikes on craigslist.
As far as returning your bike to stock... I look for solid stock examples too... I would leave your pipe on there, but I am going to be brutally honest... alot of buyers are trying to stay away from young bike owners. So make your bike look factory, clean, good tires, etc. And advertise it with boring, yet very nice views of the bike. No action shots... you want someone to imagine themselves on the bike, not you tearing up the asphalt. Tell them the bike is clean, great to ride, forgiving in handling...etc. Stay away from lines like... Fastest bike in town, or nose-stoppy champion, etc. Good Luck..

Old 11-03-2007, 02:03 PM

mods rarely do anything to raise value. like a nice seat or a stablizire is a plus but the only that can add value is the chroming and powered coat. in the end you will spend much more rather than making more.
i say leave it alone.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:14 AM

Clean clean and clean. Don't ride it, but keep it running so that when someone looks at it-it fires right up. Like was said before-MODS sometimes make me feel uneasy. My bike had some mods done, but just bolt on stuff that i would have done anyways so it was fine with me and saved me some cash, but as far as major mods go I try ti stay away from that stuff.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:37 AM

It's pretty simple really:

1. Cleaner than new...you have the whole winter to detail.
2. Exceptional pics. All sides and lots of details: chain, tires, rotors.
3. Be honest about any blems or scratches...show in detail.
4. Start with a reasonable price. If you use "dealer retail" blue book pricing, you lost eveyone looking private. Fair private is usually halfway between high dealer retail and dealer trade in. www.kbb.com As others have said, take any mods out of the pricing. If you just added a full Yosh system, take it off and go back to stock. Seriously. Or expect to throw it in for virtually free.
5. List everywhere. Forums, ebay, cycletrader, CL. Forget the local newspaper.
6. If you did the above, and the bike doesn't sell in the first two weeks, your price is too high...plain and simple.

I've sold three bikes on ebay for "Buy It Now" prices following the first 4 rules. Very happy buyer's and seller.

Good luck. Grazi

Old 11-23-2007, 11:26 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

well here's your problem you didn't post any pictures up ..duh ! [sm=ttiwwp.gif].. everyone it's all about exposure so get your bike out there. i've had people come up to me on the street and ask if im selling my bike . so it can happen any time, any where from any one