CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/)
-   -   How to fix a warped rotor??? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/how-fix-warped-rotor-32844/)

TK954RR 03-08-2007 09:47 PM

RE: How to fix a warped rotor???

wow

D2VW14_20 03-08-2007 11:54 PM

ORIGINAL: xtremef4i

Was that a joke danny? or are you being serious...sounds suspicious since the books aren't much weight to straighten metal. But I am up for any ideas
Have you ever owned a Calc book??? Those things are like 1400 pages thick and 20+ pounds a piece, haha

racer212 03-09-2007 01:04 AM

Bin it... aint worth the hassle or the risk.

devlzluv 03-09-2007 02:14 PM

a warped rotor is usally caused from high heat, spend the money and upgrade if ur gonna be using at the track. fixing a warped rotor (on the track) its gonna yield bad results. i did the same thing on my car cuz i didnt want to spend the money and ended up messing more than the rotor up. ur bent rotor is an excuse to upgrade to better stuff since the old stuff is broken (at least thats what i tell my wife)

abadfish 03-09-2007 04:23 PM

ORIGINAL: devlzluv

fixing a warped rotor (on the track) its gonna yield bad results.

Do you even ride the track (with a bike)????????????????????????????????????????? I have several thousand laps that says othewise. i also know other racers who would disagree with your statement.

A car is not the same as bike.

Jason748 03-10-2007 12:22 AM

I agree with fish. Heck, I've even had NEW rotors sent out and straighened becuase the factories idea of allowable t.i.r. is very different from mine.
I've raced on straightened, previousiouly warped rotors for years, and never once had a problem of any kind.

fyi I use frame straight systems, not the cheapest but IMHO the best in the business.

Now if the rotor is actually bent that's a different story.

mccannf3 03-10-2007 12:40 AM

ORIGINAL: devlzluv

a warped rotor is usally caused from high heat, spend the money and upgrade if ur gonna be using at the track. fixing a warped rotor (on the track) its gonna yield bad results. i did the same thing on my car cuz i didnt want to spend the money and ended up messing more than the rotor up. ur bent rotor is an excuse to upgrade to better stuff since the old stuff is broken (at least thats what i tell my wife)
With an automotive rotor you can take itto a machine shop and they will cut the warp out, we don't have that luxury on bikes [:@]

zrad 03-17-2007 12:42 AM

I've spoken to several Machinists and speciality shops on this issue and most of them say that it would be a temporary fix and that it would probably bend again. AlsoI think everyone here has a different perception of a bent rotor. A couple thou is nothing and should be straightend fine. If its out a 1/4 inch find different rotors because you will be wasting your time fixing a floating disc.

mccannf3 03-17-2007 04:19 AM

ORIGINAL: zrad

I've spoken to several Machinists and speciality shops on this issue and most of them say that it would be a temporary fix and that it would probably bend again. AlsoI think everyone here has a different perception of a bent rotor. A couple thou is nothing and should be straightend fine. If its out a 1/4 inch find different rotors because you will be wasting your time fixing a floating disc.
I think we all agree if the rotor is bent it MUST be replaced, but if it slightly warped it is much more cost effective to have them fixed. ;)