General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you keep your bike safe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 12:24 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I keep my bike safe as can be with a 9mm. Locks are a waste as most people who steal bikes will pick them up and throw them in the back of a van/truck.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:26 AM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Always secure your chains off of the ground. Never leave any slack enough for it to reach the ground. I dont care how expensive your lock is, if the chain is touching the floor anywhere then I could snap it in seconds. The floor is your enemy with long handled bolt cutters ....one arm on the floor.....bounce body wieght on the other and SNAP. Theres a nice noose hanging in my garage...tied real nice....it greets visitors and shows the scum what I have in mind for them. I hate thieves and would love to tie the scum to my van and take them for a little ride round my block...just a little too fast for them to run behind. Sorry lost it a little there !! (lost a few before)
If ever I`m leaving my bike for holidays or long periods, I remove my rear wheel. My son has mx bikes and we always remove his between w-ends. I guess my thoughts go to the pain when they have been stolen in the past. It changed my personality for a while. Everyone who looked at me was a thief. I went nutz. Now it takes me 15mins to lock the bikes and garage (alarm wired to house) but I`m guessin it saves me the time of explaining to the police why I have wet red rags tied to the back of my van !!

Last edited by wes 17; 10-31-2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: more to add
Old 10-31-2012, 02:56 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Comprehensive insurance is the only thing that is somewhat effective, I'm afraid. And only somewhat since it rarely pays for an exact replacement. And doesn't compensate for non-tangible things, like emotional attachment.

I've had alarms in all my bikes, currently a Scorpio RLink in my BMW s1000rr. The RLink model has a GPS for tracking and uses cellular to notify about alarms. So it's range is anywhere I have cell service. Yolie has gotten a reputation on my block for not liking strangers near her (perimeter sensor).
Wasnt aware that you can get alarms that you can hook up to your phone or even have GPS. now that gets me really excited. lol !

Originally Posted by sjona2011
theres really not much that will stop some guys that really want it, you just have to try and deter them as much as possible. i personally have a disk lock, always keep it under my seat, when i had my bike at my apartment i always had a cover on it at night, if i left for the weekend i would park it out back, got it as out of sight as i could, didnt have anything to really chain it to, so i would just put a couple pad locks on the rear rotor and chain as well as the disk lock, then covered it.
thought about getting an alarm system, but just got full coverage instead.
Wish i could get full coverage on my bike, but theres no way I can afford it right now with 7 points on my record.

Originally Posted by wes 17
Always secure your chains off of the ground. Never leave any slack enough for it to reach the ground. I dont care how expensive your lock is, if the chain is touching the floor anywhere then I could snap it in seconds. The floor is your enemy with long handled bolt cutters ....one arm on the floor.....bounce body wieght on the other and SNAP. Theres a nice noose hanging in my garage...tied real nice....it greets visitors and shows the scum what I have in mind for them. I hate thieves and would love to tie the scum to my van and take them for a little ride round my block...just a little too fast for them to run behind. Sorry lost it a little there !! (lost a few before)
If ever I`m leaving my bike for holidays or long periods, I remove my rear wheel. My son has mx bikes and we always remove his between w-ends. I guess my thoughts go to the pain when they have been stolen in the past. It changed my personality for a while. Everyone who looked at me was a thief. I went nutz. Now it takes me 15mins to lock the bikes and garage (alarm wired to house) but I`m guessin it saves me the time of explaining to the police why I have wet red rags tied to the back of my van !!
thanks for the tips man. Every little thing helps and maybe prevents my bike or anyone elses bike from getting stolen. Will take your advice on having slack on the chain!

Old 10-31-2012, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by pelekeliko
Wish i could get full coverage on my bike, but theres no way I can afford it right now with 7 points on my record.
The nice thing is, you don't need full coverage. Two of the most expensive components of insurance are Collision and Uninsured Motorist. But those are not what protects your bike when it's stolen. Comprehensive coverage is what covers Theft and any other damage not caused by a collision/crash (where you're at fault). If your bike gets vandalized by someone like it gets kicked over, comprehensive covers that. It also covers it if it's stolen. You can generally get that type of insurance for under $200 a year, which is pretty reasonable in most areas.

Here's a good site for insurance definitions.

Something to think about anyway.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
The nice thing is, you don't need full coverage. Two of the most expensive components of insurance are Collision and Uninsured Motorist. But those are not what protects your bike when it's stolen. Comprehensive coverage is what covers Theft and any other damage not caused by a collision/crash (where you're at fault). If your bike gets vandalized by someone like it gets kicked over, comprehensive covers that. It also covers it if it's stolen. You can generally get that type of insurance for under $200 a year, which is pretty reasonable in most areas.

Here's a good site for insurance definitions.

Something to think about anyway.
Didnt realize that bro. Will for sure give my insurance a call and see how much it would be to add comprehensive coverage. Thanks again!

Old 11-06-2012, 06:55 PM

Lots of good suggestions in this thread.
Here's what I suggest in no particular order of importance.

1. Park your bike in a garage if you have one.
2. If you have to park it outdoors, park in a well lit area.
3. Lock it. Even in the garage.
4. Lock it to an immovable object with a hardened chain. If there isn't one, see of you can mount a big *** steel ring in something like a fence post or even in the corner of a parking spot using a post hole digger and concrete.
5. Cover it. They won't steal it if they can't see it.
6. Get an alarm with a remote and perimeter alarm. Then set the perimeter sensor to be as sensitive as possible.
7. Put a hidden kill switch on the bike. This will prevent thieves from plugging in another ignition switch and driving off.
8. Leave a couple severed fingers and ears laying around your bike in some puddles of blood.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Senior Member & can cook minute rice in 58sec

i'v a alarm(came with it) and a chinese tracker box and cut out, but so simple.
it's under my tank and i put an oxford sticker on it, its near the same same as my heated grips box, and a few dummy wires to the grips. he he !!!
wee arial wire and a sim with £5 credit,
all i have to do is call it, and it sends me back a text with the co-ordinates.
2 code texts to cut ignition off or on. unforyunately if anyone else knows the number, they can do the same. so it's a well guarded secret.
have to do it every 90 days to keep the sim active, and it works great.
gps co-ordinate software comes on a micro cd. 40p a year to run.

it was £39 from china last year, but about £80 now.

alarm, gps, 2 chains to wheels, and through centre stand, ground anchor through floor with 12" bolts, in an alarmed shed with power cut alarm and text alert if it goes off(but i don't like that one, if i was havin a drink in town and the alarm text comes, through, what do you do LOL) 3 dogs, and a yard surrounded by high fence and barbed wire.
and every night, my car and van are bumper to bumper up to the shed door.
heat sensor lights with indoor buzzers.
i ferkin' kid you not!

Last edited by gotcbr; 11-06-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:15 PM

Working on getting RFID ignition and i'm gonna wire up a kill switch in the circuit somewhere and hide it. That way even if someone gets my wristband off (very doubtful) then they still cannot ride it.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by KenG
i'v a alarm(came with it) and a chinese tracker box and cut out, but so simple.
it's under my tank and i put an oxford sticker on it, its near the same same as my heated grips box, and a few dummy wires to the grips. he he !!!
wee arial wire and a sim with £5 credit,
all i have to do is call it, and it sends me back a text with the co-ordinates.
2 code texts to cut ignition off or on. unforyunately if anyone else knows the number, they can do the same. so it's a well guarded secret.
have to do it every 90 days to keep the sim active, and it works great.
gps co-ordinate software comes on a micro cd. 40p a year to run.

it was £39 from china last year, but about £80 now.

alarm, gps, 2 chains to wheels, and through centre stand, ground anchor through floor with 12" bolts, in an alarmed shed with power cut alarm and text alert if it goes off(but i don't like that one, if i was havin a drink in town and the alarm text comes, through, what do you do LOL) 3 dogs, and a yard surrounded by high fence and barbed wire.
and every night, my car and van are bumper to bumper up to the shed door.
heat sensor lights with indoor buzzers.
i ferkin' kid you not!
What?!? No cobra in the fuel tank? You're slippin'.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:26 AM
Senior Member & can cook minute rice in 58sec

i live in norn iron,,,,,,,,,
in the middle of a estate where you keep your nose clean,,

after all that i'm fully comp

"no point locking the gate after the horse has bolted"

Quick Reply: How do you keep your bike safe?