General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you keep your bike safe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you keep your bike safe?

Since buying my first sports bike about a week ago, I have been obsessed with searching for the best lock I can possible buy for it. Been reading around and have seen the xena locks with alarms, u-locks, disc locks and I just dont know which direction to go and what will best prevent thieves from taking my baby. So wanted to hear what you guys trust and use to keep your bikes safe.

Need to order something ASAP so any opinions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Rico.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Are you talking about securing it at home or when you're out and about?

Old 10-30-2012, 09:41 PM
Registered Users

Looking for suggestions on both bro. My house isnt an issue but I am constantly between my girlfriends house, where its all alone out front and work where I start at 5am and the parking lot is dead and no one around.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:16 PM

It's never safe in public. Disc locks, alarms, and kill switches don't work when a few guys with a pick up truck can toss it in the bed in seconds. If you can, lock it to something. Cables and chains can be cut, so the thicker and more hardened the better.

If all possible, cover it and wrap it around and around with smaller cable or rope along with locking it up. Anything you can do to make it less appealing and more work to get at will help. Covering also help with vandalism.

Always keep it in sight when possible. If you're getting a burger, park it and sit where you can see it.

Last edited by 74demon; 10-30-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:19 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by 74demon
It's never safe in public. Disc locks, alarms, and kill switches don't work when a few guys with a pick up truck can toss it in the bed in seconds. If you can, lock it to something. Cables and chains can be cut, so the thicker and more hardened the better.

If all possible, cover it and wrap it around and around with smaller cable or rope along with locking it up. Anything you can do to make it less appealing and more work to get at will help. Covering also help with vandalism.
appreciate the fast replies and will definitely look into some thick chain. Theres plenty of things around my job to chain it too and wouldnt be a problem just leaving the chain at work. So I dont have to worry about riding with it on my back everyday. lol

Old 10-30-2012, 10:23 PM

Lock your chain to a pole by where park it. Just leave it...

Old 10-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by 74demon
Lock your chain to a pole by where park it. Just leave it...
or that too. lol

how do you feel about motorcycle alarms? I feel people dont even pay enough attention to them to even care if one was going off.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:34 PM

Well....I don't have one, and have no plans on getting one.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Comprehensive insurance is the only thing that is somewhat effective, I'm afraid. And only somewhat since it rarely pays for an exact replacement. And doesn't compensate for non-tangible things, like emotional attachment.

I've had alarms in all my bikes, currently a Scorpio RLink in my BMW s1000rr. The RLink model has a GPS for tracking and uses cellular to notify about alarms. So it's range is anywhere I have cell service. Yolie has gotten a reputation on my block for not liking strangers near her (perimeter sensor).

Old 10-30-2012, 11:53 PM

theres really not much that will stop some guys that really want it, you just have to try and deter them as much as possible. i personally have a disk lock, always keep it under my seat, when i had my bike at my apartment i always had a cover on it at night, if i left for the weekend i would park it out back, got it as out of sight as i could, didnt have anything to really chain it to, so i would just put a couple pad locks on the rear rotor and chain as well as the disk lock, then covered it.
thought about getting an alarm system, but just got full coverage instead.

Quick Reply: How do you keep your bike safe?