General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do the headlight capsules stay in?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do the headlight capsules stay in?

Hello all, new member here with a new (to me) 2002 CRB600F4I. The girl I bought the bike from was noble in her attempts to do maintenance herself but lacking in skill. The bike was crashed at some point and there are some missing parts on the front end. Here's what I need help with today:

The headlight capsules just bounce around in the rubber dust covers and the wire clips used to hold them in are missing, I think. I'm not sure if there is broken plastic on the back of the headlight buckets because I can't see where the wire clips would attach if I found them.

Would anyone happen to have a picture of, or be willing to take a picture of the back of a headlight assembly (with the rubber covers removed) so I can see what I am missing?

I appreciate any help and am more than willing to help back when I can.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

generally, the reflector will have one ball socket, and two threaded holes. the ball socket allows the headlight to pivot while the two screws hold the vertical and horizontal planes, while being adjustable.

My guess, is the ball stud popped out of the socket. the ball stud should be mounted to the back of the headlight bucket, and the socket is on the reflector.

If your lucky, you can try to line up the reflector where it looks like it should go, by visual and by feeling if the reflector sort of drops into place. Then, reach inside the reflector with your fingers and possibly snap the ball back into place.

If that doesn't work, you will probably have to seperate the lens from the headlight bucket. You can do this by placing the entire headlight in the oven at 220 degrees for 3 minutes. This will soften the sealant enough so you can pry apart the headlight lens. this will give you access to the reflector inside. It will also allow you to see if something is broken inside, or just needs to put back in place. once your done, you can set the lens back on the bucket, then put it back in the oven and re heat it. remove it from the oven and the lens will push right back into place.