General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda CBR250RR Dying??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012 | 04:53 AM
|
Default Honda CBR250RR Dying??

I own a 1988 Honda CBR250RR for my first bike, and it has carbs. It has a fuel ****, which I always turn off when i'm out (even for like 5 minutes) and make sure I turn it on before I go riding. Today I was cruising in town and I went to fuel up, once I fueled up I was heading home and I was opening the throttle going about 100km/h. I then slowed down to about 60km/h and all of a sudden my bike started jumping (like the engine was stuttering) And it started losing revs, but when I gave it throttle nothing would happen and it died when I pulled over. I tried to start it up but nothing would happen, it just didn't want to start.
Anyone got any ideas on what's wrong? Would be greatly appreciated :S
By the way, when it's idling and I open the throttle too much, it wants to die before engaging.

Old 01-12-2012 | 08:15 AM

When is the last time the carbs and valves were serviced?

Old 01-12-2012 | 10:13 AM
|

Not too sure, the owner said it needed a service, which it is getting next week, just need to fix the problem I am having now..

Old 01-12-2012 | 05:28 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2

Was it hot out? It might be a sign of early R/R failure. After about 10-15 minutes did
it start back up and run ok? Take a look at the r/r and connector for signs of heat
dmage. i.e. melted/warped plastic,burnt connector pins, cracked epoxy fill on the r/r
itself. These are all signs of a r/r failing.

Ern

Old 01-13-2012 | 07:04 AM
|

Didn't seem hot when I got off. Temp gauge was about halfway. Yes it started up perfectly after wheeling it home. What's the r/r if I may ask? I will take it apart tomorrow and have a look. Thanks for the suggestion

Old 01-14-2012 | 01:07 AM
|

Me and a friend took the fairings off and found a small black tube that isn't attached to anything. I got a picture on my computer but not sure on how to post it. Any idea on what it is?

Old 01-16-2012 | 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Kylvin
Me and a friend took the fairings off and found a small black tube that isn't attached to anything. I got a picture on my computer but not sure on how to post it. Any idea on what it is?

Tough to say without a photo but it could be an overflow line from the tank or a vac line...

Old 01-16-2012 | 11:42 AM

Was the bike running ok before you fuelled it up? If so, are you certain you filled up with petrol and not diesel? I know it sounds ridiculous, but I filled up a Harley 1200cc Sporster with diesel once and I used to work for a well-known oil company! Doh! Luckily I was just around the corner from where I live, so I went home, fetched some molegrips, clamped the fuel pipe off and removed the tank. I then emptied the tank, refilled with unleaded and all was well. I hadn't tried to start the bike though, as I realised my mistake just in time! You could try draining your tank, removing the petrol tap and checking the filter(s) and fuel line for blockages.

Originally Posted by Kylvin
I own a 1988 Honda CBR250RR for my first bike, and it has carbs. It has a fuel ****, which I always turn off when i'm out (even for like 5 minutes) and make sure I turn it on before I go riding. Today I was cruising in town and I went to fuel up, once I fueled up I was heading home and I was opening the throttle going about 100km/h. I then slowed down to about 60km/h and all of a sudden my bike started jumping (like the engine was stuttering) And it started losing revs, but when I gave it throttle nothing would happen and it died when I pulled over. I tried to start it up but nothing would happen, it just didn't want to start.
Anyone got any ideas on what's wrong? Would be greatly appreciated :S
By the way, when it's idling and I open the throttle too much, it wants to die before engaging.

Old 01-18-2012 | 08:10 PM
|

I think it might be the vac line. Is this a problem? What does it do?
I'm going to pull the bike apart this week and check the filters, plugs, etc.

Luckily you noticed! Could have caused some serious problems to your bike. I'm certain I put Premium Unleaded in. I'll check the fuel lines for blockages.
Thanks for your suggestions

Old 01-18-2012 | 09:19 PM

The R/R he is talking about is the voltage regulator/rectifier. I am unsure where it is located on your specific bike but is normally found under the seat bolted to the frame. Normally it is a silver box about 3-4 inches square with cooling fins on it. It turns the ac power the bike produces into dc usable power. Without it functioning properly the bike will not run right or charge properly. Do a quick google search and you will be able to see what they typically look like.

Quick Reply: Honda CBR250RR Dying??