General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hole in gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hole in gas tank

So I go out to ride this morning and gas is dripping out of my tank! after stripping some paint (which the gas helped me with[:@]) i found about a pin-sized hole. What should I use to plug it? Will silicone or gasket maker dissolve?

And wtf, how does that even happen? Im living in VA this summer which is a lot hotter than I am used to, and I have noticed that the pressure in my tank is insane. It compresses the sides and has actually cracked the paint, could this have caused the hole?

Old 08-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Default RE: Hole in gas tank

Use an Epoxy based sealant.

I used to live in North Carolina for 6 years, weather is about the same,never had a problem with my gas tank compressing due to the heat.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:07 AM

I have some epoxy glue, would that work?

Old 08-17-2008, 11:22 AM

I'm thinking your going to need to have it wielded. Also your vent tube is probably clogged.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:33 AM

Nauree is right. Your tank vent must be plugged up.

Im not sure who could weld it up for ya. Its going to take a certain place to do it. they will have to get out all of the gas, but even then there are still the fumes that a welder will ignite. So the place that welds it will have to fill the tank with an inert gas once the fuel is removed. I'm sure most welding places wont touch it.

An epoxy would probably be your best bet as already said. they make some really good two part epoxy's that withstand gasoline. The only problem there is it needs to be left with some build up. If the hole is in a visible spot, your not going to beable to plug the hole and sand it off. You could put a small dent in the tank where the hole is and then fill it with epoxy, then smooth it out.

If it were me, I think I would look for another tank. With this one having a hole in it, it must mean the inside of your tank is rusty. Its only a matter of time before another one appears.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:29 PM

Welding gas tanks is not any more difficult than welding any other metalit just takes a bit more caution. Any inert gas is fine, but you will have to buy it. Another, military-spec method, is to run a hose from a vehicle exhaust into your tank for 15 minutes prior to weldingthe heavy, spent fumes from the exhaust will displace both the lighter oxygen (needed for combustion) and the gas fumes. Leaving said vehicle running will ensure a constant supply of heavy, non-combustible gas during the welding process. Thanks to my Uncle Mike, who welded for the Navy for 15 years and is now a journeyman welder in the private sector for that tidbit.
As for your pinhole leak, find a product named "Cycle Tank Sealer"it is for coating the inside of rusty tanks and sealing pinhole leaks. Remove and drain tank, coat it, allow to dry, replace, refill, ride!

here's your link http://www.kbs-coatings.com/KBS-Cycl...1-reviews.html

Old 08-17-2008, 06:38 PM

Thanks for the responses....I dont think it is rusty because as I said the tank was very compressed and made a pinch that resulted in the hole. I scraped/sanded the tank, put some metal/concrete epoxy on it, sanded, repainted, and clearcoated. Seems to be holding up so far, we'll see what its like in the long run