CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/)
-   -   Higher Revs From N to 1 or 2. (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/higher-revs-n-1-2-a-137869/)

08600RR 05-09-2012 05:12 PM

Higher Revs From N to 1 or 2.

Hey ya'll. I just noticed a couple weeks back that my 2008 600 RR is going higher into revs from Neutral to any gear. Normally it idles right around 1800, and as it warms up, goes down to about 1600. However, now it has the same N idle, but when I shift into gear, RPMs increase to about 2000/2100 when it's cold and maybe and hangs around 1900 when it warms up.

May be coincidence, but I noticed this happened just after I changed my oil, and like a squid, put in just under 4 litres, rather than just under 3 (like you are supposed to). I rode about 75 miles with that much oil, drained the excess, and now I'm running the normal amount of oil.

Could this cause my RPMs to increase when going from Neutral to any gear or does anyone have an idea?

estate4life 05-09-2012 06:11 PM

1.6 - 1.8 that's high idle bro....why is it adjusted so high in the first place....

Try adjusting back down to normal
Idling...I am not sure about your model & year (EFI) bit idle should be around 0.8 -1.2 at most....set you idle correct first then see how bike react....nothing relates with oil.... It's your fuel injection, fuel feed related...

justasquid 05-09-2012 08:21 PM

I agree with estate4life, your idle is set way too high. If you don't know, you can adjust your idle by the idle adjuster screw located on the left hand side of your bike. Turn the knob until your idle is down around 1200 or so. Do this when its fully warmed up though.

Its not good to overfill your oil, but it probably didn't hurt anything. Most cases you will loose power due to the crank actually being in oil and getting dragged down. The other possible outcome is purging the excess oil through the crankcase vent. You should be fine.

Is it possible you moved the idle adjuster while changing your oil? Did a friend help you with the oil change and perhaps mess with it not knowing what it was?

08600RR 05-10-2012 10:44 AM

Thanks for the advice! @Justasquid, I've changed the oil since I got the bike back in 2008, and since that time, its just been me working on the bike. As far as I've known, the idle had been typically anywhere from 1500 to 1800, so it's possible it was just a factory setting that wasn't completely adjusted correctly (maybe?).

In any case, I adjusted the idle and it's hanging down around 1200, but I still end up with the same reaction. When I put the bike into gear, the revs jump about 200-300, which hasn't been the norm but for just a few weeks ago.

Any other ideas? I've been talking with a few buddies and they've thrown out some things which I don't think would be the issue, but it's been anything from flywheel being loose to clutch. However, none of those issues that are typically associated with those things have been happening.