General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High octane gas????

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 01:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High octane gas????

Has anyone ever used the 94 octane gas and then used octane booster at the same time????

Old 03-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Default RE: High octane gas????

No but I always put premium in my bikes. Around here its 93 octane, I don't think the octane booster actually does anything anyways. I used to have a subscription to car craft and they did some dyno testing and if I remember right it actually lost power, or if it gained it wasn't anything that you would notice. I say just fill it up with premium and leave it at that, I don't like adding anything to my oils or gas but thats just me.

-Jesse-

Old 03-03-2006, 12:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what's the manual recommend? why are you putting anything higher than that?
i have my stick ready...so ready to beat the dead horse...

Old 03-03-2006, 02:52 PM

Yeah, this subject goes along with oil, tires and brake pads.

I personally believe you only need the octane to prevent detonation. I can go in to a long dissertation about this but why bore you. An increase in octane does not increase your horsepower or the ability to make the engine more efficient.

Old 03-03-2006, 08:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't forget calkidd...it's along the same lines of if like store brand is better or Motrin, you know...TUSSIN or ROBITUSSIN...
PEPTO BISMO...or PINK BISMUTH...or...PREPARATION H or BUTT CREAM.

Old 03-03-2006, 08:42 PM

I was just wondering about the high ocrane gas. I always use premium, which aroound me id 93. Just wondering if there were any advantages to using the booster. I never really noticed anyhing in my truck when I used it. My buddy wants to sell me some race fuel, But I wrecked my last car speeding, so speed really isnt my thing. Just more curious about the booster than anyhting else. Thanks

Old 03-03-2006, 08:54 PM

i think theres a difference on whee you are, standard here (uk) is 95, premium is 97. seems different to here, you are in relation to sea level.

Old 03-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Calkidd

Yeah, this subject goes along with oil, tires and brake pads.

I personally believe you only need the octane to prevent detonation. I can go in to a long dissertation about this but why bore you. An increase in octane does not increase your horsepower or the ability to make the engine more efficient.
Bingo -- we have a winner! Eventually ... if we keep saying it ... perhaps ... oh perhaps ... peeps will start believing it Of course the gas companies make tons of extra money selling premium so they're gonna push it. Just pissin away money if ya don't needs it.

As far as the octane booster goes - if you read the fine print you'll see that if you add a bottle to 20 gal of 93 you'll end up with 93.2 ... it really doesn't give you a lot of octane.

Now if you go off the deep end and install some hi-comp pistons, super charger or turbo come talk to the stretcher and we'll get ya some info on intercoolers or water/alchy injection.

Old 03-03-2006, 10:20 PM

On a 1998 F3 Honda recommends 87 octane. Any higher octane in that engine is just a waste of money and most likely less power.

Old 03-04-2006, 02:05 AM

ORIGINAL: chainstretcher
Bingo -- we have a winner! Eventually ... if we keep saying it ... perhaps ... oh perhaps ... peeps will start believing it Of course the gas companies make tons of extra money selling premium so they're gonna push it. Just pissin away money if ya don't needs it.

As far as the octane booster goes - if you read the fine print you'll see that if you add a bottle to 20 gal of 93 you'll end up with 93.2 ... it really doesn't give you a lot of octane.

Now if you go off the deep end and install some hi-comp pistons, super charger or turbo come talk to the stretcher and we'll get ya some info on intercoolers or water/alchy injection.
[sm=thanx.gif]

What does octane mean
Read this....It will give you an understanding why there is octane in fuel.

Quick Reply: High octane gas????